Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer/Elk Question
So i have a pretty good question for you big game hunters.
The D.W.R looks at the deer and says there are 25 Bucks to 100 Doe.
Do they do this same thing to the Elk herd, or is it just for the Deer?
[signature]
They do it with all big game species.
[signature]
interesting. would you by chance know what the Bull to cow ratio?
[signature]
I believe its the same. Not sure on that one.
[signature]
cool thanks.. tight lines
[signature]
The dDWR does look at bull to cow ratio's, but that is not how the herds are managed. They are managed based off average age of harvested bulls. Some units have lower ratio's like 20/100 bull to cow, and some have high ratio's like 50/50 or I have even heard of 55/45. (they have since added spike hunts to some of those units to reduce the ratio.
Your general units like the Uinta's will have lower ratio's where the limited entry units will tend to be higher. I would guess most limited entry units are in the 30-35/100 range.
[signature]
awesome. thank you for that information. what do you think the ratio is up around the Monte Cristo area?
[signature]
Just based off what I have seen, I would guess they are near a 35/100 B/C range. If you do some digging on the DWR site, I think there is an actual number from their winter counts. However, they are usually a year or two behind, so you may only be able to find numbers up to 2010 or 2011. Seems to me I saw them on the web site, but I don't remember where I found them. They like to advertise the age average because that is what they base their tag numbers off of. In my opinion, that is the wrong way to manage for a healty herd, but it works good for the antler growth and sales.
[signature]
Here's the 2011 Annual Big Game Report:

[url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/annual_reports/11_bg_report.pdf"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/annual_reports/11_bg_report.pdf[/url]

It has lots of goodies.
[signature]
awesome. thanks everyone
[signature]