Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spawning Beds
I see the flows on the M/Weber are now at 29 CFS. This is the second consecutive year that the spawning beds will be above the water line. Very Sad.
[signature]
Pray for snow and a lot of it!
[signature]
how are you figuring that the redds are out of the water? from my past experiences on the weber the spawn does not even begin to start until about the end of october, if it cools down quick enough, and sometimes all of the way until the middle of november. regardless the fish always find a way
[signature]
[quote Browntrout]I see the flows on the M/Weber are now at 29 CFS. This is the second consecutive year that the spawning beds will be above the water line. Very Sad.[/quote]

[quote kochanut]how are you figuring that the redds are out of the water? ... the spawn does not even begin to start until about the end of october[/quote]

I agree with nut. Maybe areas used in the past are out of the water, but the fish haven't spawned yet this year, and I can almost guarantee (95% sure) that the browns won't spawn above the water.

but, is that really an issue? When I read Browntrout's post, my first thought was "I should go fish the weber next summer....". Really -- if the brown trout truly did not get a successful spawn for two consecutive years, I would actually expect to see more big fish in the next couple years. If populations numbers were a concern, I would think the DWR would simply stock a few additional fish. But for some reason, I doubt that is a concern.

personally, I wouldn't worry too much about water levels hurting a the brown trout spawn. It might actually turn out better if their spawn rate is down...

....so, who wants to take me fishing on the weber next summer??
[signature]
if i wasent moving back to europe this month for the next several years i would take you on some family land fo'sho
[signature]
[quote PBH][quote Browntrout]I see the flows on the M/Weber are now at 29 CFS. This is the second consecutive year that the spawning beds will be above the water line. Very Sad.[/quote]

[quote kochanut]how are you figuring that the redds are out of the water? ... the spawn does not even begin to start until about the end of october[/quote]

..........and I can almost guarantee (95% sure) that the browns won't spawn above the water.[/quote]

Well, Mr. Know-it-All, I'm gotta check with Cliff on that one.[cool]
[signature]
I said 95% chance. So, I'm leaving 5% error margin that brown trout might spawn above the water, in the dry gravel.

I don't always drink beer. But when I do, I drink Tecata Light.
[signature]
You know, I'm not a biologist, but I'm going out on a limb and say with 100% certainty the spawning will be below the waterline.
[signature]
Couldn't agree more with PBH= I'd be thinking next year could be some quality fish
[signature]