Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a new tube.
So I sold my old float tube (Cumberland) in hopes of getting a more light weight float tube for hiking in to some lakes for big brook trout.

I noticed earlier this summer Creek Company had their ODC 420 light weight combo on sale for 50% off. But I was unable to buy it since i hadn't sold my other tube.

Well now with the Cumberland now sold i've been checking their website every week, and they now have the ODC Lightweight Combo back on sale 50% off.

Here's the problem.

Do i get the Lightweight combo or wait, and hope the ODC Ultralight go's on sale at sometime?

My hold up is the foam seats on the Lightweight compaired to the air seats on the Ultralight.

I have a pack frame i plan on using to haul everything in to the lake with.

Does anyone have any experiance with either one of these tubes?
[signature]
Are you going to be using it anytime soon or can you wait? Does it have to be the V shape? For hike ins what about a U tube. Some are lighter than the Ultra.
[signature]
I don't really need it right away. I wish i could have it by this weekends fishing trip, but no big deal.

The U boats are not rated for my weight 300 lbs.
i guess i should have put that in my first post.

I do some what prefer the v shape.
[signature]
Aw gotcha. 50% is a big savings...but no telling how long of wait.
Try calling them, the worse that could happen is they would tell you no.
[signature]
Big diffence is the foam seat vs the air seat.

The foam seats obviously won't pack down as small as the the air seats.
[signature]
I actually called them about a month ago, and they said they don't have any plans in the near futur of putting the Ultralight up for 50% off.

I'm willing to wait until next spring/ early summer. Hoping they put it on sale, if the Ultralight is the better way to go.
[signature]
Hi, Jack. My comments are in your message below FWIW.

[quote Jackalope]So I sold my old float tube (Cumberland) in hopes of getting a more light weight float tube for hiking in to some lakes for big brook trout.

I noticed earlier this summer Creek Company had their ODC 420 light weight combo on sale for 50% off. But I was unable to buy it since i hadn't sold my other tube.

Well now with the Cumberland now sold i've been checking their website every week, and they now have the ODC Lightweight Combo back on sale 50% off.

Here's the problem.

Do i get the Lightweight combo or wait, and hope the ODC Ultralight go's on sale at sometime?

The ultralight has never been on sale since it has been offered and very unlikely it will ever go at a deep discount of 50%, IMHO. My guess is they are phasing out the combo with foam seat and will carry only the ultralight- in both foam and bladder seat versions.

My hold up is the foam seats on the Lightweight compaired to the air seats on the Ultralight.

I've converted several of the combos to an ultralight, by using the $50 list air seat. Their big sale is around Xmas, and I got spare air seats for $20 about 2 years ago.

I have a pack frame i plan on using to haul everything in to the lake with.

Does anyone have any experiance with either one of these tubes?

Yes, I have gone from various pontoons to the green combo version, and used for several years now with good luck. I have added almost all the bells and whistles possible, and improved on a few minor design flaws. The ultra and combo are essentially the same tube in weight and construction with all parts of the ODC 420 series being interchangable.

[/quote]

Hope this helps,

Pon
[signature]
Thanks for the help. I was kind of thinking the same thing about them phasing out the green combo.

I have thought about getting the green combo then getting the air seats at a later time , but wasn't to happy paying another $50 for the seats. With your information of them putting the seats on sale helps.
[signature]
No I believe my mind has changed to getting the Lightweight or get the normal ODC 420.

Listed weights are.

Cumberland ( my old tube ) 18 lbs

ODC 420 = 12 lbs with foam seats, stronger PVC bottom.

ODC 420 Lightweight = 8 lbs with foam seats.

I could get air seats for either one of the ODC, and save a couple pounds. Also make it more compact for packing.

With my Cumberland tube, waders, flippers, and pfd i was at 30 lbs on a bathroom scale.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Weighing in late on your original question. Sorry. Been occupied...fishing and catchup work details.

You have gotten some good input from actual ODC buyers and users. I have fished from the standard ODC 420 and found it to be comparable in most respects to the Fat Cat. Different bladder and pocket setups but otherwise pretty close.

The lighter versions sacrifice some quality and toughness for lighter weight. But if you are serious about trudging your heavy self and your tube up a long trail then every ounce counts. For that reason you will want to end up with an inflated seat model. Lighter and less volume to pack.

The main consideration should be how you will be using the tube the most...hike in or low altitude fishing on other waters. If the majority of your fishing will be on lakes to which you can drive and launch then you may wish to go for the sturdiest model...and suffer a few extra ounces on a pack in. Or, you could buy a wheeler and save yourself some sweat and palpitations.

Definitely would not recommend the U-boat. Much lower seating and lower weight rating. Not for us boys of "ample" proportions.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
The tube would be used about 50 - 50. About 4 or 5 times a year on hike in lakes only about 2 - 3 miles. Then about 4 or 5 times a year on lakes I can driver to Strawberry, Deer Creek, and etc.

Kind of leaning to the ODC 420 then buy the air seats when they hopefully go on sale.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sounds like you are narrowing down your options.

Last tube I bought was a Fat Cat...with the foam seats. I got a shot at buying the inflatable bottom seat at a super price and did so. I like the inflated much better. Us heavy types tend to make the bottom of the foam seats sag a bit over time. Adding wood or plexiglas support helps but having an adjustable comfort range with the inflated is even better.

Once you have made a firm decision, fire up the search engine and get creative. It is amazing the deals you can come up with for end-of-year, end of model line, close-outs and plain desperation sales.
Heck, there are even some non-new tubes being sold after only a couple of uses at a "deflated" price. Swallow your pride and go for it. You can buy more jig-making materials with the bucks you save.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
My hold up now is that Creek Company's website says the ODC weighs 12lbs, but everywhere else says 16lbs.

Also their ODC 420 lightweights says 8 lbs on there website, but everywhere else says 10 lbs.

I sent them an email asking about the discrepancy's, will see what they come up with.
[signature]
[quote Jackalope]I don't really need it right away. I wish i could have it by this weekends fishing trip, but no big deal.

The U boats are not rated for my weight 300 lbs.
i guess i should have put that in my first post.

I do some what prefer the v shape.[/quote] I have been having problems finding a tube that would hold me up as well, I am 295. I tried a bighorn rated for 300 lbs and it was still super sketchy floating in that thing. I am just going to buy a pontoon instead. If you do find one you though let me know...
[signature]
I had the Cumberland from Classic Accessory's, and it was rated for 350 LBS. I loved the tube, and after adding some PVC/fish finder it was great . I don't think my butt ever got wet it held me out of the water, and felt very stable.

I believe the Fat Cat from Outcast is also rated at 350 LBS. I believe Tubedude uses this tube he would have a wealth of knowledge about it.

The only reason i sold the Cumberland was it was heavy for packing into some of the lakes I frequent.
[signature]
Jack:
There is some variation in the manufactured weights of maybe + or - 2# as there have been minor changes to the models over the years, and the foam seat is lighter than the inflatable- therefore the range. My green one weighs 9# with seat bladders vs. 14# for the grey PVC coated with bladders.

But the VOLUME when packed is significantly different for the lightweight vs. the original PVC coated. I can get 2 inflatable seat lightweights complete in an airline carry on bag vs. maybe 1 or the heavys. I replaced the valve panel with my own made from a flex plastic binder cover; the ones pictured used on the older model will crack if the tube is rolled up. The latest sale design versions have a valve panel made from bladder type material which can puff out if not lined up right, so I also replaced those. Also you can make your own backstraps from nylon webbing and hooks to carry while inflated: http://creekcompany.com/product.php?prod...250&page=1

Ten times a year use is very minor compared to at least 200 over the last 4 years with my lightweight. The green has faded some, and there is some fabric wear on the bottom from going over rapids, but I don't drag on bare ground. Resew of a short section of pocket seam that was starting to unravel has been the only repair.

Part of the weight capacity rating is because of heavy riders sitting in water with legs displaces water, lightening the load and making for a very stable configuration. The seat bladders increase weight capacity and are adjustable. The seat bladders make this the most comfortable tube/toon I have ever had, plus areas above my waist don't get soaked by spray in rough conditions due to the "V" design. I weigh 175# and added a foam topper for additional comfort and so that I can sit dry 4" above the water with no wicking into hindquarters (no waders).

Pon

[quote Jackalope]My hold up now is that Creek Company's website says the ODC weighs 12lbs, but everywhere else says 16lbs.

Also their ODC 420 lightweights says 8 lbs on there website, but everywhere else says 10 lbs.

I sent them an email asking about the discrepancy's, will see what they come up with.[/quote]
[signature]
Well i took the plunge, and got the ODC 420 Lightweight combo.

I hope i made the right choice.[:/]
[signature]
$149. is a really fair price, at least to me. I don't see how you can go wrong.
I am Confused however, I went to their site and this tube is listed at 8 lbs, but the Ultra is listed at 8.75?????? Site messed up?
http://creekcompany.com/product.php?prod...249&page=1

I have those fins and they work well.

What kind of PFD do you haul?
[signature]
Hi, FG:
My seat inflatable bladders weigh more than the foam seat and the amount of stitching may not be exactly identical in the two. The Ultra comes with the heavier bladders instead of foam seat. Name should be "Ultra compact" rather than "Ultra lightweight"?

Pon

[quote flygoddess]$149. is a really fair price, at least to me. I don't see how you can go wrong.
I am Confused however, I went to their site and this tube is listed at 8 lbs, but the Ultra is listed at 8.75?????? Site messed up?
[url "http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16151&cat=249&page=1"]http://creekcompany.com/...p;cat=249&page=1[/url]

I have those fins and they work well.

What kind of PFD do you haul?[/quote]
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]Hi, FG:
My seat inflatable bladders weigh more than the foam seat and the amount of stitching may not be exactly identical in the two. The Ultra comes with the heavier bladders instead of foam seat. Name should be "Ultra compact" rather than "Ultra lightweight"?

Pon
[/quote]

Exactly....[Smile]

My 8'er with inflatable seat and back storage area weighs in at 14 lbs...because of the D rings, foot bar holder, and oar mounts.
[signature]