Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek...a Paucity of Perch 10-7-13
[#0000FF]Out of the 3 or 4 optional venues I had on my list, Deer Creek won out. Bad call. Pretty morning but the fish all slept in...somewhere other than where I was fishing.

Launched at the island ramp about 7ish. Water seemed to be up a few feet from my trip there last month. Now we need more rain and snow to raise it another 30 feet or so.

Air temp was 32 and water temp was 58. That usually produces fog. And it did this morning too. Big time. I had to use the sound of traffic along the highway to work my way towards the island. But you know how fog can distort sound. I found myself going in circles if I didn't really concentrate.

As it got lighter I could vaguely see the lighter spot in the sky where the sun was trying to break through. That helped me find the island...after almost running aground along the east shore below the parking area a couple of times.

Finally got into position where I could see the end of the island well enough for visual reference and started bouncing jigs and watching sonar. Don't think I can remember a trip that had so few fishy marks on the sonar screen...at all depths. Deer Creek Desert. Some excitement though as I backed up onto pods of carp cruising the surface and they exploded within a few feet of me. Woulda turned my hair white if it wasn't already there.

Finally found some mini marks in about 26 feet of water. Got a few bitty bites and managed to drag up a handful of dink perch and a few small smallies. Better than skunk but not by much. It was still super foggy and I drifted out away from being able to see the island through the mist. By my reckoning I was moving out into the channel between the island and the steep banks along the railroad on the other side.

After long minutes of seeing nothing else on sonar and getting no love on my lures I had a sudden and more businesslike munch. I pulled my lone decent perch out of about 30 feet of water. Right at 13 inches. Wish I could have filled a basket with them. But, alas, it was not to be. In spite of working from 25' to 35' for the next couple of hours I caught not another perch. Missed a few light inquiries but no more hookups.

It was clearing up now, and the lake was glassy. I could see a long way in all directions. I had expected to see the trout more active but only saw a scattered few hit the top. I did see some trouty marks on sonar at middepth over the deeper water. But the only connection I made was with a little Finless Freddie that scarfed one of my jigs as I was lifting it from the water. I let him do the dork roll for a minute and then shook him loose without having to handle him.

Once the sun broke through and the fog lifted there were quite a few small boats trolling for troutskis. But neither they nor the bank tanglers seemed to be doing much.

As I worked my way back to the ramp I fondly reminisced of the days of old...when there were perch literally paving the bottom of Deer Creek...at all depths and in all areas...year round. And a typical basket for me usually contained at least a dozen teen inchers...or at least footlongs. That all went away with the smallies. The hordes of small smallies eat the baby perch before they can grow bigger...and so there are not enough of them for the other predators.

I keep fishing it and dreaming of the good ol' days.

But either I am getting older or that long hike up the ramp is getting longer...or both.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Nice perch TD. Bummer on the rest of the day though. I was hoping to hear the finless freddies were out in full force.

Timp is looking good with the snow cap.
[signature]
[#0000FF]We need to see a lot more snow on Timp. This was one of the very few years when the snow on the back side melted completely.

I shoulda knowed the Freddies weren't peaking yet. You can just about walk across the lake on the hulls of tin boats dragging beer cans (pop gear) when the new planters are popping the top.

I was happy to catch at least one toad perch. Woulda liked to have caught more but it was big enough to make a couple of fish tacos...heavy on the other fillings.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I had actually heard that Timp ran out of snow this year. That messed up my plans to ski it this summer. But don't fret too much for me, I went skiing 2 days ago at Alta Ski area. It was a tad rocky but with over 400 turns my summer withdrawal is soothed till this next storm Wed through Friday.

What do you put in your fish tacos?
[signature]
People always say, a bad day on the water is better than any day at work....but I think a bad day on the water is much worse. It is super stressful, and annoying specially when you see fish on sonar but they will not bite.
Anyway, got to have these days to make the better ones noticeable...LOL
No skunk smell is a bonus.[Smile]
[signature]
Bummer of a day....[:/] Hope it gets a little better.
[signature]
Hello TubeDude! I was one of the guys on the shore of the island this morning. That is an awesome set up you have! I was wondering if anybody out on the lake was having any better luck or not. A few people down from me where picking up a some Rainbows but no one was really tearing it up. Catching fish is always the best but you can't beat a day just enjoying the outdoors!
[signature]
Hey welcome to the forum. Glad you got a good day on the pond even if the catching was a little slow. When TD has a slow day you can bet most everyone else did as well. Thanks for posting. J
[signature]
"What do you put in your fish tacos?"

[#0000ff]No "standard" recipe. I usually grill or "dry fry" the fish fillets...maybe a little blackening seasoning. And I always use soft flour tortillas. More like a burrito than a taco. Most fish taco recipes call for shredded cabbage and I like that when I have it. But I often use just a bit of the green salad mix I have in my fridge. The main thing is the "pico de gallo" salsa. I make it fresh. The last addition is a bit of cheese...shredded jack or mozzarella. Cheddar is too strong for fish.

But, for a nice light fleshed fish like perch I often make a "gringo" taco...fried fillets in a soft flour tortilla with a bit of tartar sauce. And for catfish I fry them well done...with a dry coating mix...and then use seafood cocktail sauce (with horse radish) in the taco. A bit of lettuce and tomato...cheese optional...finishes them off.

By the way, here is a pic of the back side of Timp in mid September this year.

[inline "CLOUD HAT.jpg"]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#0000FF]That southern shoreline of the island can be great for the rainbows when they are in and active. But, as we both experienced, it can also be a bit too quiet. There have been times I have been out in my tube and have watched the "bank tanglers" reeling in fish after fish. But I usually do much better in my tube...when I fish for the trout. Sometimes I do, but yesterday was a "perch search" day and I never did target any trout.

Welcome to the board. Glad you like my ride. As I often tell the boaters who admire it at the ramp: "It fishes good but I can't tow a skier."
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]People always say, a bad day on the water is better than any day at work....but I think a bad day on the water is much worse. It is super stressful, and annoying specially when you see fish on sonar but they will not bite.
Anyway, got to have these days to make the better ones noticeable...LOL
No skunk smell is a bonus.[Smile][/quote]

[#0000FF]I do believe that ANY time on the water is better than the same amount of time spent doing ALMOST anything else. But I agree with your statements about a bad day fishing not being any good at all. Maybe okay for someone who gets very little time to go fishing and just enjoys the heck out of being away from work or other unpleasantness.

I am retired and probably go fishing more than most. I have had plenty of both good and bad days on the water. Thankfully, more of the former than in my earlier and less experienced years. But even when I have a less than stellar day I am cool and philosophical about it. Like you say, bad days make the better ones more enjoyable. One of my fave expressions has long been "You gotta taste the bitter to appreciate the sweet."

I'll bet you could have scored some 'bows with your long rod. There were enough around to make it worth the effort. And I have seen you in action. You got a way of catching trout when others ain't.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude

[#0000ff]

But, for a nice light fleshed fish like perch I often make a "gringo" taco...fried fillets in a soft flour tortilla with a bit of tartar sauce.

[/#0000ff] [/quote]

[#502800]Have you tried shaking some of that True Lime seasoning on those "gringo tacos" yet?[/#502800]
[signature]
The fishing has gone downhill in the south of Utah as well. When the water levels are so low I guess it changes things. I hope we get some good storms this winter so the fishing will improve. Nice looking perch!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Ain't got none yet...but it's on my list. TubeBabe is out of town and she does most of the shopping (spending). It's a gender thing.

I definitely look forward to trying it and integrating it into several fave fish dishes.

Can you make a dehydrated key lime pie with it?

Thinking about next Thursday for a trip up your way.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]

Can you make a dehydrated key lime pie with it?

[/#0000ff][/quote]
[#502800]I'm not sure, but if you take one of those Marie C. frozen key lime pies and sprinkle some of it on a slice, you get real close to those they make in South Florida.[/#502800]

[#502800]Did I mention I love key lime pie?[/#502800]
[signature]
[#0000FF]During my years of gainful employment I had several temporary work assignments in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Tamarack...with lots of driving up and down the main roads. Of course I had to stop and try as many different key lime pies as possible. They were all a little bit different...but almost universally better than anything I have had outside of Florida.

Key lime pies like me too. They stay with me a long time...around my middle. The waist is a terrible thing to mind.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
And here we all thought that was a tube you float around in...

(LOL!)
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey...now yer gittin' pers'nal. I resemble that remark.

Actually, I was able to shed the Key lime poundage after I got away from Florida. But, Sadly, I found a good replacement with Utah scones and other deadly home cooking dishes.

Happy to report that I have become more responsible in my eating habits as I have grown older. I have managed to get my waistline down proportionate to my height...that is if I was 10 feet tall.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Yasss, yasss. I'm witchya.

I call my butt Cisco, because it rides with Pauncho.
[signature]