Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duck opener
Well, my experience on Saturday started off not so great, but ended well. My buddy and I decided it would be just as easy to hike into the spot I wanted as opposed to load up my boat and battle everyone at the marina. Got out and set up by 6:00 am, and only came across one other set of guys (gave us a nice quack call on our walk in). This was about right where I wanted to set up from my scouting trip the day before. Well, we trudged out to the plan B spot, which I was still quite confident about. As we are sitting there for the longest hour ever (Utah county gets to start at 7:00[:p]). There was boat, after boat, after boat piling in around us. Guys yelling at their dogs, being loud as hell all around. People kept moving closer and closer. I would quack then shine my light their way. A couple got the idea, some didn't care at all, and others were just ignorant. I had a guy shout to me "is there someone right here?", to what I replied "Yes, we are about 40-50 yards over here. The guy responds "What?" as if I said "nope, nobody here. Then sets up shop. I had groups on three sides of me within 60 yards. Well, I have been on the opener before, and didn't expect a whole lot less. 6:50 hit and I said to my buddy "I'm really surprised no one has shot yet", since I know how this usually goes, and there were a lot of birds flying from being kicked up everywhere. No sooner did that come out of my mouth, and BANG. Followed by, bang, bang, bang. I bet there were 120-150 shots in the next 5 minutes. I knew there would be early shots, but WOW. I wasn't expecting 200+ before the first legal minute. What I thought was amusing was that I could see just enough to where I could tell that at least 95% of what was flying over us were coots. Anyways, once 6:59 hit, I racked a shell in and said "1 minute and we are joining in the madness". I love decoying birds, but it wasn't happening on this day, they were getting shot at before they even thought about landing. So, I pass shot ducks as they came in for a close enough look. Almost all ducks around were GWT, but my buddy did manage a drake and hen mallard, as well as a shoveler. I filled my limit with the mini fighter jets (GWT). I love shooting at those buggers, they can go from rocketing in, to vertical like nothing. We were limited by 8:57, and back to the truck by 9:21. Plenty of ducks still flying. All in all, a fun morning. My buddy had never shot a limit, and said it was the most fun duck hunt he had been on, so that has to count for something.
[signature]
I think those might both be drake mallards, it is just that the one is this year's chick, or "eclipse drake." The beak is yellow for both of them.

But anyway, nice work!! it is always fun to shoot at teal. [Smile]
[signature]