Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
elk hunt
Ha I know this is a fishin site but I bought A Any bull tag and don't know who to ask and a lot of people that fish hunt to but I was woundering if Amy of you have hunted the east side of bear lake and if it would be worth my time to drive over there to try it any info would be nice pm if u want
[signature]
there is a lot of private ground up that way. if you hunt it, pay attention to painted trees and fences.
[signature]
Spent a bit of time on the east of bear lake, never seen any elk nor have I heard of them over there.

The west side of bear lake is much better habitat for them, but I never see much sign over there there either. Those northern mountain ranges don't seem to have near the number of elk as the south and central ranges do, I know they've had several very bad winters in the last couple decades that have kept populations pretty low.

I'm sure there's animals out there, but you're going to have to put on some serious miles looking for them.
[signature]
No elk on the East side of Bear lake. The east and west side of Bear lake is all spike Only area. You would need to hunt certain areas on the South side of SR-39, Monte cristo road with your any bull tag.Thats your closest any bull unit. All area North of SR-39 is Spike only.
[signature]
I spend tons of time on the east side hunting and I can tell you that although it is now an any bull area, you would be wasting your time there this year. I have taken a couple cows on the late cow hunt in years past, but they were ones that moved in from the idaho side of the stateline. I have been all over it this year and not seen a single elk or even a track.
The southern end of the crawfords usually has a resident herd and it is also any bull. Still, its a low odds deal. Unfortunately, the any bull tag is pretty much worthless in rich county unless you are one of the lucky few who get to hunt the private land south of monte Christo highway. I'm convinced that the any bull tag is just a reward for the big landowners in this state( uintas being the exception).

Hope this helps.
[signature]
Ya I hear ya man I have pulled two off the school trust land up by hard ware but but ithink I just need to start buying the cow tags thanks for the help and response
[signature]
Well lol that's not good news Haha but thanks for the help
[signature]
ive seen alot of elk on the west side of bear lake but most of them are north over the border. Never seen any elk on the east side!!! but they sure have some nice deer!!!!
[signature]
Ya have u done much hunting up there
[signature]