Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk and deer hunts flaming gorge style
The elk hunt opening morning was great, my party knocked down three cows within a half hour of each other. It was brutal the rest of the day getting them out.

The deer hunt I got my parking spot early to ensure I'd get to the spot where I'd scouted two decent 4 points, unfortunately it was close to the road. I waited til first light when a yahoo and one or two of his yahoo buddies pulled in. I started walking to get to my spot, I was stopped by a herd of deer I spotted in front of me. Yahoo #2 went to the right of me, yahoo #1 the left, while I'm waiting to see if there are any bucks, they looked at me, walked about 50 yds to each side, passed me by about 100 yds and sat down. I honestly understand that I'm hunting public land, if they would have kept walking I wouldn't have had an issue, what they did is prevent me from having a safe shot by putting their yahoo bodies in between where the deer would come up and myself. I am not unsafe and ended up leaving. There was a large pack of coyotes (the way they sounded) below us, I did wait to see if one would appear to collect a $50.00 bill since that was about the only chance I had. When they didn't appear I took off. What in the heck is wrong with people ?
[signature]
I don't remember people being as ignorant as they are now back in the 70's when I was a boy. There were over 200,000 hunters then and it didn't seem as bad. It has gotten so bad now that I hunt archery or muzzleloader for deer and the second week of the elk hunt. Glad you did so well on the elk hunt.
[signature]
I agree with stickhorse, you might want to try primitive weapon hunts. We haven't hunted with rifles in this state for the past 15 years unless we draw a LE tag. We make our journey to WY. every year for our hunts, no monster deer but it's fun to hunt where you can shoot a white tail or a mule deer. I don't know how many more years we will have up there as WY is trying to increase the hunt fees by 50%. We will be done then unless we become residents like Crankem did. [:/]
[signature]
Crankem is on to something with the WY move, I have relatives here which will keep me in place. I used to Archery hunt here all the time. Unfortunately I played baseball and softball most of my life. I quit archery hunting because I couldn't handle my bow anymore (shoulder issues). I could buy new gear as the archery technology is so much better now then it used to be, I'm sure I could get a lighter draw with a bigger let off. The biggest issue I have with Archery is the time of year the hunt is. It's been 90 degrees during a hunt, awfully hard to get an elk or a big deer out without spoiling if it's a ways up the mtn. I've never thought about muzzle loader, as the deer season opens the day after I finish a trade show in St. George. Would make a long drive to Manila from there to get there for the opener after tearing down a trade show booth.

I have been putting in for antelope points in WY. I want to get my Dad up there for a hunt, he has limitations as to where he can hunt for medical reasons. I'll have to think about it for next year for sure. Thanks for the advise.
[signature]
Have you ever thought about using a crossbow? If you have a medical reason that limits your use with a bow you may want to think about using one. I have several friends including my wife that have medical reasons that require them to use a cross bow. I will send you a PM.
[signature]