Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster cat caught on float tube
Maybe some of you have read this story but I'm sure some haven't. I thought it was a good read. Enjoy
[url "http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/float-tube-fishing-giant-catfish/"]http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/float-tube-fishing-giant-catfish/[/url]
[signature]
Now that is cool. Closes to one on one fight you can get, except for those guys that fish the ocean in just wet suits.
I wonder how that felt compared to Babe's Sturgeon from a tube.
[signature]
Good story.
But I liked the comments better.
[signature]
Thats one big kitty...[fishin]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I subscribe to the Dirty Harry philosophy..."A man should know his limitations."

Those cats grow to more than twice that size. But that one was more than I would like to dance with.

The big problem in trying to catch big fish from a float tube is that you got no "platform" from which to do battle. You really are just a big bobber. And if you use a heavy rig and tight drag you definitely going for a ride...or worse.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Maybe wrong, but my impression is that this was a stunt with the the pictured crew and also chase boats instantly available- so, not much danger. He could always cut line or let go of the rod if going under water.

Cats around here head down when hooked, so there is less danger from imbedded hooks or cat barbs. By contrast, other species sometimes try to "hide" under your tube when hooked, which makes you liable for punctures....

Pon
[signature]
[#0000FF]When I lived and fished in Arizona I caught quite a few "mid-sized" flatheads...in the 25 to 30 pound range. One of the things I learned was to always maneuver the tube so that you were pulling on them from an angle...never straight up and down. That tires them out more and keeps them away from your tube until you are ready to deal with them.

Bigger cats usually don't have the sharp spines that smaller cats do. But they can still do some damage. Worst problem I ever witnessed was a fellow tuber becoming "hog tied" by his own line when a cat did a couple of half hitches and a granny knot around his ankles. I had to come help him subdue the fish and get his ankles freed.

That was undoubtedly a planned thing. But I wouldn't even attempt catching one of those beasts without some quality backup.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]