Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elk Hunting and the Quad Curl Mallard
Went up to Afton this last weekend for the wife's elk hunt and, as always, took the scatter guns.

The first morning we thought we'd have our two cows by 9am thanks to a tip from the land owners, but it was not to be. While I was pushing through some brush we thought was holding the small herd, they spooked and came running towards me and my efforts to herd them to someone with a gun were not successful. That was the last we saw of the weekend despite lots of miles hiked and hillsides glassed. Dang!

Saturday I spent chasing ducks, geese and grouse around the rivers and hills, had a pretty good time too! Ended up with three mallards, one stud drake widgeon, a ruffie and a big old goose!
[inline "DSC01559 (Medium).JPG"]

[inline "DSC01592 (Medium).JPG"]

One of the drake mallards had to be pushing 6lbs and had FOUR full curls on him! I've never seen one that big before!
[inline "DSC01567 (Medium).JPG"]
[inline "DSC01578 (Medium).JPG"]

Oh, and the little duck on the end there is a blue wing teal (not a cinnamon that everyone shoots on the opener and thinks is a blue wing), never seen or shot one of those before...

[inline "DSC01575 (Medium).JPG"]

Baby came with us this time and enjoyed life back at camp with grandma!

[inline "DSC01562 (Medium).JPG"]
[inline "DSC01582 (Medium).JPG"]
ONE WEEK TILL MY CANADA TRIP! [laugh] [sly] Wahoo!!
[signature]
beautiful birds!!!
[signature]
Nicely done! Thats a huge greenie bud. jelous for sure.
[Tongue]

fnf[cool]
[signature]
thank ya tony!

Where are all the pics of your birds this season??
[signature]
[quote fish_or_die]Where are all the pics of your birds this season??[/quote]

When the weather cools and the feet of the mallard duck becomes more orange you will see many ducks pictures.

HA HA!

Can't wait for the winter storms to start rolling in. Missed out bad with this last one. My freinds did very well.

fnf[cool]
[signature]