Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake and area report 10/31/13
Thursday, October 31, 2013

Bear Lake Fishing Report:

Surface water temperature is about 48 degrees. Irrigation pumping has concluded and the lake has reached it low point for the year. Water is now flowing into the lake from the Bear River. Boats can be launched and the Utah State Park Marina, 1st Point, and Rainbow Cove boat ramps and docks are in the water at all locations. Rainbow Cove access has been fully paved as well as the parking areas. Although there is a dock in the water at Cisco Beach, it is not recommended that you attempt to launch a boat there due to the rough, rocky shoreline. The lake trout run has peaked for the year, but fishing should remain good. Shore anglers have been catching lake trout on large flys off the Utah State Park marina as well as off the North Beach Jetty. Best times are in the evenings, throughout the night and early mornings. Boat anglers are also picking up some lake trout trolling in the shallow (10-30’ deep) rocky, shoreline areas using flatfish. Fishing action has been better along the east side of the lake. Gill nets set last week revealed a good abundance of chubs along the shoreline on the west side of the lake which has likely slowed the fishing in this area. Some anglers are picking up cutthroat trout by jigging on the bottom in 60-80’ of water off the "rockpile" using tube jigs tipped with cisco. Remember, in order to keep a cutthroat trout from Bear Lake it must have a healed fin clip (usually the adipose fin). Cutthroat trout with all fins intact have to be released. Consider releasing large lake trout in order to maintain the fishery. Lake trout can easily live to over 35 years old in Bear Lake.

Garden City Community Fishery Pond
The pond level is completely full. Fishing pressure has been light but the fishing has been good for rainbow trout and a few of the larger cutthroat trout brood which were stocked earlier in the year. Try small spinners or bead-headed nymphs behind a bubble or wooly buggers on sinking tip fly line. Powerbait and worms seem to work better in the fall too.

Laketown Reservoir
Pond level is full, fishing pressure has been light and fishing has been fair-good triploid rainbows. Anglers have had the best luck with worms and powerbait, but spinners will also work well at this time of year. For fly fishing, try greenish-brown wooly buggers or other nymphs on a sinking fly line.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Scott and thanks for letting everyone know about launching at Cisco beach and the rough, rocky shoreline.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Scott...

Maybe, just maybe I can finally get out and go fishing this weekend or next.

My new place and remodeling has consumed me for over a year now and it is time for a break.

I am also hoping for a Turkey day whitefish run, I always seem to miss it due to work or weather.
[signature]
Hey Scott, appreciate your updates and need to get over there and wash a lure or two. Is the spawn past enough so we won't disturb the fish too much now? Sure seen some pictures of nice fish being caught there this year. Keep up the good work. If I don't make it before we'll try the whitefish run. Later J
[signature]
Pat, you are more than welcome on my boat anytime. Especially to catch a whitefish this fall. We need some "breakfast" fish!!!
[signature]
Hey Scott , let me know when you guys are going out for the Whitefish. I've never fished for them but it sounds like fun , I'd like to join you guys I'll bring my boat.
[signature]
Scott,

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it or maybe take you out this year if it works out. I do have a boat just need the time and weather to cooperate for me. Whitefish breakfast is my favorite. [crazy]

Dan, (Edit name I was replying too, getting old and not paying attention[crazy])

I am no expert when it comes to fishing the whites but Scott has taught me a thing or two. I have managed to get at least one meal and sometimes two every year.
[signature]
Sounds like we should try and do a " mini salsa boys " for some whities. That could be fun. Just cook whities, eggs and hash browns instead.
[signature]
Hey Mark,

Sounds like a great idea and looks like Old coot is working this.
[signature]