Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mule deer grunt calls
Have any of you guys tried them during the rut? I'm hunting extended and I've got some pigs I've been chasing and thought of trying to bring them to me. Just seeing if anyone has ever had success with them.
[signature]
When I first moved here (22 years ago) I tried using grunt and bleat calls for mulies while bow hunting. I used them for several years and watch the reaction of the deer from both near and far. I have had absolute NO success in using them. I thought for sure, after hunting whitetails my whole life, that using a grunt call would be the ticket since no one used them that I knew of out here in Utah. No I know why!
[signature]
Where you using them during the rut?
[signature]
I read articles about hunting mule deer and it is rarely, if ever, mentioned but there are a few that I've read about rattling. Have you tried that method of luring mule deer in? From what I have read, one of the main factors is buck density, the fewer the bucks the less the chances are that it will work. All methods would work, if there were as many mule deer as there are whitetail, especially back East.
[signature]
Never tried them during the rut, only the bow season. After watching mulies for the last 20+ years, they are quite critters compared to whitetails that are very vocal during all time of the year. Most of the sounds I've heard from mulies are from adult does.
[signature]