Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panguitch Lake area 12-7
Ended taking a nice little Sunday drive and check out a couple places. It was extremely wind, so I couldn't even fish unless I was facing the right direction. I ended up leaving Panguitch and headed over to Sevier and up to Mammoth. In most of the deeper holes I usually see a bunch of fish but most of them were void of fish. It sucked and Mammoth was the same as always picky. I fished the articial and upper bait section on Mammoth. I didn't even see or get a bit in the upper section. It seems like every time I drive by I see 10 or more new cabins. I stopped by Yankee on the way home for some more mud and fish. It sucked and after this trip I'll wait until someplace else has ice.
[signature]
The last picture is from a couple weeks ago. That's my nephew and his fish. The first two are of Panguitch Lake. The ice was breaking up in huge pieces. I almost caught a Canadian goose that had a broken wing but he hit the water before I could grab him. Oh well, he'll be dead anyway.

I was wondering does anybody else from down south ice fish or do they just wait until somebody says "Pine lake is awesome" or something like that before they head out?
[signature]
Many of us do ice fish. We just don't give a report on every trip we make....

I fished the Sevier in Kingston Canyon Saturday the 8th. Pretty tough fishing. The browns aren't very aggressive in there right now. I ended up catching 4 fish (all browns), the biggest was about 17". The wife caught one also. Used buggers.

Otter Creek had a layer of ice on it. I didn't see anyone fishing it. I drove right past it. It should be plenty safe for fishing by today.

Black Canyon looked good. The restoration work looks like it is going very well. Water quality seemed pretty good also...nice and clear.

hedges -- quite fishing Mammoth and the Sevier above Hatch. Go fish the East Fork. Much better fishing...
[signature]
Oh I know most people don't do a report because they are afraid of it getting to much pressure. If you noticed I don't post about out of the way places either. I tend to enjoy these lakes because they don't get any pressure and frankly, I love to enjoy the solitude place like this have, not listening to people fishing.

I was headed over to Kinston canyon and East fork but I want to spend a day ice fishing Otter and spend the rest of the day working this area. I even thought about heading up to Pine lake and stopping to visit a friend. Basically, I haven't fished these rivers since I was a kid. I have fished private pond in Antimony. The guy built it half on BLM property so I wasn't breaking any law. The stream that feeds it was awesome if you don't mind catching little browns.

It seems like you do a lot of fishing that area. Where would be a good spot to park and start fishing from? I don't want your hot spots just a good place to start from. I'll be heading that way this weekend.
[signature]
i am experiencing the same thing up north hedge. i need to start heading down south where i can find some peace and quiet. all my areas are totally full of weekenders and even people during the week now. im not sure how to feel about all of this, this has all happened within a year or so. and fishing in the winter has really become far to popular now. i use to have peace and quiet but now its the same as you described listening to other people fish all around me. ruining the sport for me in all reality. any PBH i was wondering how the access is to the sevier if you dont mind telling me. i have wanted to fish the sevier for quite some time and dont know too manyh places to access it other than marysvale canyon area. any info would be great. also are you fishing in the private club areas? or is there public access down south further?
[signature]
Xman, hedges -- You may already know some of this information....

Xman -- Most of the river I fish is the East Fork Sevier. This is above Piute Res (before the confluence of the sevier), and above Otter Creek Res. All of the areas I fish are accessible to the public.

The DWR owns land in both Kingston Canyon and Black Canyon. The section of Kingston Canyon land is sandwiched between two sections of BLM. This gives the public access to about 4 miles of river (just guessing on the mileage...) The DWR has placed WMA signs all over the fence on their section of land. It is pretty easy to find. I like to park on the bottom end of the DWR section, and fish upstream through the WMA. I have also fished all through the upper BLM section. I haven't fished the lower BLM section for years. Water is just too slow, and too thick with willows. Don't try fishing the private land above the upper BLM section. You WILL get kicked out.

In Black Canyon the DWR has a coupld different sections of land. One is currently undergoing reconstruction. That is pretty easy to see where that is happening. The other section is from Osiris Mill down a mile or so to a private section. There are parking areas on the DWR land to fish the Black Canyon section.

I hope this helps out. If you need any other info -- or anything more specific, just let me know. I will try to help out as much as I can...
[signature]
PBH -hey neighbor quit giving out my secret spots Smile Acutally I'm waiting for the duck hunt to finish so I can get out. As far as posting I got tired last year of getting pm's from people bashing me, and others for giving their veiw points, maybe they have fixed this problem on the forum with a ignore button.
[signature]
don't you have some walks to shovel? Let's get up to Fish Lake!
[signature]
Naw I'm actually heading to SLC for some meetings so I have students shoveling walks, plus it is finals week so it is pretty bare around campus Smile

I talked to Chuck last week and he said FL hasn't iced over yet so what have you heard? We do need to go I just bought a hi powered drill my hole machine Smile
[signature]
doesn't surprise me. FL almost never freezes until after Christmas -- but before New Years. We will be up there...

I have fished a couple other places through the ice. I will get with you (maybe sunday) and give you the details...
[signature]
thanks for the info pbh.

i have fished a good part of the east fork section. i have been trying to figure out access to the upper section of the sevier farther down south. especially the area around bryce turn off. i see alot of farms out there and believe its all private. i have only caught small fish on the east fork is there browns over 20 inches in there? since i havent put the time in on it i would say yes but perhaps not many. but i know on the sevier especially in the areas im thinking of there are some bruisers i just dont know where i can fish and where i would have to pay or not fish at all. again thanks for the info.
[signature]
PBH-Thanks for the info. I'll probable make a trip this weekend. Company is always welcome.

Xman- Hows it been? I haven't heard from you in a while. Ya every year more people are exploring new places and what was once pristine little spots are getting over run. Down south you can find solitude still but I've had company in some places I never would of thought of seeing anybody. You never know what kind of people you'll meet. This year I was coming out of a remote part of Boulder and along comes these two older ladies topless. First of all I was surprised to see anbody on that trail and second they didn't look like they should of been hiking at all. You know the type, a little over weight and sucking wind worse then me packing 65 pounds of gear(mostly fishing equipment) and smoking.

SUDH- So how the duck season going? I haven't been able to get out this year but seen plenty of geese and ducks to shoot.

Hey Guys if you want to do a little ice fishing or river fishing this weekend send a PM and we'll figure a time and place.
[signature]
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh ya never told me 'bout dat hike!

sm
[signature]
Go hike some of the parks trails and you'll see Europeans sun bathing nude all the time or walking around topless. That used to be one of the highlights for our scouting trips. It's only breasts, so it wouldn't matter that much since you live in Vegas.
[signature]
ya hhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sm
[signature]
Xman -- there really isn't anywhere to fish in John's Valley (North of Bryce). There isn't any water in the Sevier until you get almost to Black Canyon. I don't know how familiar you are with the area, but you can't really get into any fishable water until you get north of the Tres Amigos Rancheros (formerly owned by the pligs...). Everything above that, towards Tropic Res., is usually dry. There are fish over twenty inches. Many. There are also quite a few smaller (like 15").
[signature]
thanks for the info.
[signature]