Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MP jerk
Yesterday, I went fishing on the middle provo, although, I hate dealing with the crowds. But I don't think I will be back anytime soon. I had spotted a large brown waiting behind a redd for stray eggs in a stream leading into the river. I tied on a peach egg pattern and started carefully casting to this wary brown. I saw another angler approaching me and I kindly asked him to walk around and not disturb the fish. He told me that I don't own the river or the fish and he started casting to it. He wasn't the best caster and he spooked the fish on his second cast. I was extremely frustrated and yelled at him for ruining my opportunity. He told me I wasn't going to catch the fish anyway and should find a new section of the river out of his way. I know the mp is "combat fishing" but I think this is a little much. I'm going to have to find some smaller waters that are lesser known to avoid idiots like this guy.
[signature]
Sorry you ran into a jerk like that. A friend of mine had a run in with a guide and his client on the MP last week. My friend was fishing a hole and the guide and his client set up right upstream from him. My friend ignored them and continued to fish but then turned and waded back to the bank to retie a leader. The client immediately moved down into where my friend was fishing. My friend didn't say anything and decided to go to another part of the river. As he left he asked the guide what kind of fly he was using and the guide proceeded to tell him it was none of his business what fly they were using.

The MP can get pretty crazy but I have meet some very considerate guides and other anglers while fishing that have been a pleasure to talk to.

MArk
[signature]
That sucks to have a hack come and attempt fishing while you're sight fishing. TubeDude mentioned taking photos of those on boats that zoom in way too close to him on his tube. I'd think that would be a good response for this situation as well. Then post their photos here.
[signature]
Jeez! The audacity of some people! I'm sorry you ran into a river hog like that guy. I think I would have called him a few choice words and then some if that had been me he booted out.
[signature]
That sucks for sure. I like the Provo both Middle and Lower. It can get a bit chummy at times and I have had ignorant people ruin a honey hole, but, got to say, I have been blessed with never running into a for real A-hole.
I did have an incident on a stream once. I was casting out and letting it drift down to a hole maybe 20' down. I see a great big splash at the end of my run and found it to be a spin caster throwing a Kastmaster right into the pool after seeing me prove there were indeed fish there.
[signature]
Never forget about your friend pepper spray if it gets a little water boiled close by. Hope I don't get in a combate when I go.
[signature]
Great idea, assault someone over recreational fishing[crazy]. Then if he pulls out a handgun and shoots you in the thigh the jury probable won't blame him as long as you don't bleed to death.[Smile]
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]Never forget about your friend pepper spray if it gets a little water boiled close by. Hope I don't get in a combate when I go.[/quote]

Ahhh---- ok[:/]
[signature]
Pepper spray is only to be used in a defensive situation basically you have to prove your life was in intermediate danger. Its more likely you would be charged with aggravated assault.

Long story short use your words not your weapons.
[signature]
If you pull in on me, I've got a big ugly lure on heavy braid and I'm gonna foul your line till you leave. Just saying.

It works everytime. Been called every name you can imagine. Lol
[signature]
A classic MP story!
[signature]
Well if they charge at me with a fist in the air I do have the rights to defend my self.
[signature]
If he charge at you with a fist in the air what would you do and I bring other handy tools just in case if someone does charge at me especially when I'm fishing the Jordan river. You never know what can go down and some protection is better then none. Right???
If someone kills me well I will be waiting for him in hell for the next 20+ years he's in jail.

Usually if someone starts fishing by me with out having a nice conversation I just leave because most of the time I just wear my head phone in loud so no one can really ruin. I got many spots to hit when I go so I highly doubt it will be crowded on the week days [Wink].

Hope Febuary spawn will be good like last year [laugh].
[signature]
[quote sinergy]

Long story short use your words not your weapons.[/quote]

I'm sure all of that slobbering and utter butchering of the English language will stop someone...

But seriously, what "man", who isn't in bear country, carries pepper spray?
[signature]
There's other ways to solve it than just resorting to violence. If you want to get into a fight then do it with your fists not pepper spray!!! I'm sure remo can give you some self defense classes if you rely on pepper spray or other "tools".

To the OP I've had days like that but usually I tell them kindly to back off and they do. Some fisherman have more respect than others.
[signature]
I fish the Provo more then most ( I dont know if that's a good thing or not ) So trust me ive had my run in's and Ive seen my fair share of disputes.

Pepper spray, lol may as well be wearing a garters under your waders

@ FFL of you think these guys are going to sit in jail look at the Travon Martin case Zimmermans a free man Im not saying what he did was right or wrong, not going there.

But the fact remains he free and Travon is dead.
[signature]
That sucks! That is why I rarely hit the MP anymore. Too many people that think that just because they have bought all the high end gear it makes them entitled to fish on top of you. I have found that usually it is guys that have no idea what they are doing so they only hit certain spots that maybe a guide showed them. If they were any good at flyfishing they would be able to figure out other parts of the river!
Sorry you had to deal with that crap! Hope your next outing is better!
RL
[signature]
Back to the topic, I've fished the MP more than any other river in Utah over the last 20 years or so and I can say thAt I've never had the pleasure of meeting anyone like this along the river. I've had a few guys start fishing nearby, but I've learned that that is just part of the game up there. I'd say, on average, 9 out of 10 "conversations" I have with fellow anglers up there are pretty positive, and the 1 out of 10 is simply just "meh". I guess I'm lucky. (Or I'm 6'3" 250 and carry a visible firearm?)

All this chatter has got me hankerin' for some MP Brownies... Of course, I live 300 miles away now. Sad.
[signature]
All I can say is its just one Brown there's plenty more, I guess my attitude toward to the MP is crowding and combat fishing is to be expected. As many have posted in the X amount of years I've been fishing the MP I've had more great days than I have bad ones.

Its Sad to say but you put in the days fishing your bound to run into a jerk its life.
[signature]
Man that sucks. It's a shame that people have to be like that. We are all out there for the same reason: to enjoy nature, have some peace, and of course for the thrill of the take. Unfortunately I have also encountered some unfriendly guys as well. However, most of the folks I have meet or seen on the river have been great. It's always nice to have a chat with someone and often times we end up discussing whats working well that day. It's always cool to see how you may be having success with a certain setup and another person may be using something completely opposite and be having success as well [Smile].
[signature]