Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba is still fishing well
Last Sunday I couldn't resist a trip to Yuba with the warm weather and clear skies. We made a couple of stops on the way down and got a late start. Air and water temperatures were a little chilly when we launched at Oasis just before 10AM.
A quick trip to the rock structure across from Oasis and the electric motor was down and we were fishing. The lake level has been rising for some time so we were hoping for fish around the structure. My fishing partner for the day, George "Wrongway" Johnson was fast to a 5 or 6 pound northern on a crank bait within minutes so we were optimistic for what might lay ahead.

For the last few trips I have been using ultralight gear with some success and was throwing small spinners. My reasoning was that the pike were seeing so much of the same types of tackle that a new look at something small might entice them. When I did catch a pike, it was great sport. My goal is a 20 pounder on 2 pound test Ande tournament line. To date I've caught nothing close to that, but it has still been interesting.

After an hour or so of slow methodical fishing with no additional success we moved up lake. Before the day was over we had managed four northerns; 3 in the 5 or 6 pound class and wrongway caught a 40" northern on the same hard bait he had started with, a suspending YoZuri I believe. The fish he caught was fat and healthy and I would estimate its weight at 18 or more pounds. A great fish by anyone's account. All of the fish were released.

The big fish took a long time to revive so we kept it in the big live well with oxygen rich water pouring across it supplemented with even more water from a wash down hose stuck in the well. One hates to kill these big breeders. We try to release them quickly, but sometimes it just doesn't work out as planned.

I broke a throttle cable just as I was putting the boat on the trailer so it will have to be repaired before I can return, but return I will as November and December have always been productive months for me on Yuba. A couple of years ago I had Dustin Carlson on the boat when it was 20 degrees in the morning and we caught 7 pike over 15 pounds. I guy can put up with a little cold to have a day like that!
[signature]
Whooee, you sure know your way around down there. I have a goal for next year of spending a little more time down there getting to know the lake better. Great report thanks![cool]
[signature]
It was nice running into you. I might drag my canoe down there for one more trip.
[signature]
Wow Steve, you sure have that place figured out, I'd be happy with one good trip at that place. Good to know we have another month or so to give it another try.
[signature]
It was nice meeting you as well. I dug through my tackle drawers and found several more like you gave me along with the appropriate lead heads.
The next time I get back after I fix my boat I will devote the whole day of fishing with the big Hammers.
I've used them trolling for striped bass in Powell and in the salt water, but didn't look at them seriously for northerns. Thanks for the gift and the heads up. I hope to see you and your fishing machine on the water soon.
[signature]
I'm READY when you takin' me? [Wink] Nice job guys!
[signature]
Flygoddess,
I am looking at putting in a new throttle cable on my boat today or tomorrow and then I'll be ready again. The weather is going to change but I've caught plenty of big pike when it was colder than a stepmothers kiss. Are you ready for CHILLY weather to catch a trophy northern?

I've told you before that you're welcome to come. As a matter of reference there are times that only a big bunny streamer will work. I think the pike think they are leeches or something, but they do smash them at times. Certainly an advantage for the long rodder who is prepared for 20 pounds of anger and a mouth full of trouble.
[signature]
This was my last outing
[Image: IMG_1184_zps3b4134fa.jpg]
And that with legs dangling in the water, that is warmer than the air, but still freezing...LOL I know how to gear up[Smile]
[signature]
It appears that you indeed, do understand cold! The boat should be fixed before the week-end. Let me know if you and your other half want to come along.
If you do decide you want to tag along I might ask you to help me with my vets and disabled kids next summer when we move from the lakes to the rivers to learn to fly fish, but it is by no means a requirement. There are no strings to my invitation. I love to fish and to share that love with anyone who wants to spend time on the water is a pleasure for me. Steve
[signature]