Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some quality ice fishing boots
I have some Sorrel knock offs with rubber above soles and leather that have some kind of inserts that look like cheap carpet. They are temp range from +40 to -40 degrees, supposedly, and were about $50 at WalMart or the like. I'd like to have some boots that do a better job of keeping my feet warm and dry and are relatively inexpensive. Any ideas?
Please, no moon boots like the first time I went to Fish Lake. They leaked and wound up in the trash.

Thanks!
[signature]
I bought some wolverine hunting boots, and used few layers of smart wool socks. That being said I also saw they have inserts (sorel I think) that you can put in to keep your toes/feet warmer.
[signature]
a pair of insulated knee high boots are a good all around ice fishing boot. They keep your feet plenty warm and when its real cold and also dry when the slushmonster is present.
I learned that lesson last year at the view when I went in the dark at oh 2 am to fish for crappie, there was a foot deep of slushy water on top of the main cap and my feet where way cold and wet.
if I didn't have my heater It would have been bad.
ill always use a pair like the ones below
[signature]
Do you guys use those feet and hand warmers that are in packages and you just open. Are they worth it. I have some hand warmers that I bought at Scheels and I have used once while riding the atv's, wasn't very impressed. Was told I didn't get a very good brand, I don't know! Just bought a different brand at "Farr West Mall" (Smith & Edwards) this last weekend, but haven't used them yet.
[signature]
ive noticed that with really good boots they will keep you plenty warm if you wear the rights socks and they fit right without any foot/handwarmers.
That being said I know some people that use the sole warmers that just stick to the insole of your shoe to keep warm and id imagine they are decent.
[signature]
Jazzperch1, sounds like the ones I bought this last weekend, they have adhesive on them. I do have a pair of true Sorels, not knockoffs that I wore when working the Olympics, but even with them, after a few hours the toes get chilly. If I can keep my toes and feet warm, I'm good all day.
[signature]
Sorrels are really good. Be aware there are different types of sorrels. The snow cats are the general use and work. I have a pair I bought in Canada back in 1991 that are still going strong, they are glaciers. I believe the best boots are those invented by inuet, muck lucks.
[signature]
Get ya some military Mickey Mouse boots at smith and Edwards. Been using em for 30 years and never had a problem. Wear street shoes while driving, don't let your feet sweat.
[signature]
They are kind of expensive $ 100-$220 but BAFFINS are the best I have found !!! Well worth the $$ if you ask me ... I ice fish tons so its well worth the investment! Also I have friends that swear by MUCK boots they are around the same price
[signature]
+1 for the Baffins!! I have the Titan 100 and they are the best boots i've ever had.

[url "http://www.baffin.com/huntsman-s/9.htm"]http://www.baffin.com/huntsman-s/9.htm[/url]
[signature]
I have a pair of Columbia buggaboots I got three years ago. they are thinsulate, waterproof, over ankle height and have ice gripper in the rubber soles. I got them for under 100 at Cabelas, i use em for everything and they are comfy too! they even have the nano silver foot linings to avoid getting the stink foot. I will buy them again when these wear out, but thats a work in progress. I wear a pair of wool socks in them and have never felt a cool sensation on my feet that would indicate i am getting cold.

one thing i can say is don't go so cheap you have to buy every year. spend a bit more for quality and use them for several seasons. spend a bit up front, and save more in the long run.

my two cents.
[signature]
Scheels & Cabelas are dealers for Clam

These are good boots for the buck...
[url "http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_armor/footwear.html"]http://clamoutdoors.com/ice_armor/footwear.html[/url]
[signature]
Do you purchase a size larger than you the shoe size that you typically wear and then put on a couple pairs of socks?
[signature]
I've found it's important to have enough space for feet and socks. If the fit is too tight, cuts off circulation, and feets get cold. Found that more x-country skiing.

I'd second the Mickey Boots. They're not pretty, and need some decent long socks. They don't breath, but they don't leak, and sure to stay warm.
Baffin, Sorel, Columbia and Rocky all make good waterproof boots that work well for ice fishing.
Be sure to get boots that are rated for - 40*.
You will pay more for these boots but your feet will thank you for it.
[signature]
they are a little more expensive but MUCK arctic sport are the best you can get. I also like that they are 16" tall for the slush monster late season. I swear by my mucks.
[signature]
Here /are two tips that have served me well. Get a large heavy plastic bag and put it between the liner and the boot. It will keep all water out and does not seem to gather the body moisture. Helps with the insulating also. Also I have taken 1/4 inch sheet metal screws and screwed them into the soles of the boots. Makes all slick ice and snow into very solid footing. No longer need ice cleats. BUT don't ware them on your wood floors...[Sad][Sad][Sad]
[signature]
Two words!! Mickey boots!![Wink]
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Sorrels are really good. Be aware there are different types of sorrels. The snow cats are the general use and work. I have a pair I bought in Canada back in 1991 that are still going strong, they are glaciers. I believe the best boots are those invented by inuet, muck lucks.[/quote]

inuit mukluks are generally leather and fur, not sure where to get them these days, but they are ultimate. Uggs are available though in waterproof & insulated. They could be a good possibility.
[signature]