Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auger attachment???
Has anyone tried these auger attachments for cordless drills??? I am just curious how they work, and how fast it will drain a drill battery???? I want a gas auger, but alot of other things come first on my list!!!
[signature]
so where do you get one at and at what price ?
[signature]
I was looking at them on ebay!!!
[signature]
That would be an interesting item to find out about. Looking forward to someone letting us in on the report.
[signature]
I think the cordless drill attachments are made primarily for thinner ice (not the 20"+ we commonly see) and drill quite small holes (around 6"). I just can't imagine cordless drills having the torque to handle the tougher jobs. Even if they have the power for it, that takes a lot of energy. You would be lucky if your battery lasts beyond the first hole or two.

I think I'll stick with my gas auger......or the "power" auger I used last year when I made the scouts drill their own holes by hand before I brought out the gas one. Smile
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Alright, help this dork out and send me a link so I can see what all the hoopla is about. I hate being the mushroom in the group![/size][/font]
[signature]
The links i tried to put on here didnt work, but go to ebay and type in ice auger, and look for the cordless drill attachments!!! [center][Image: ICE2.jpg][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Found it where you said. There you go, Big Boy! BLM[/size][/font]
[/left]
[signature]
I just read on one of the sites that they were able to drill 22 - 6" holes through 24" of ice with one 14.4V drill... Might be woth checking out...

[url "http://www.ejourney.com/~topnotch/"]http://www.ejourney.com/~topnotch/[/url]
[signature]
That sounds like a great idea, it seems hard to believe though but for that price I hope someone tries it and gives us a report back. WH2
[signature]
I read about them to on ebay. The article said 22 6" holes and 10 or so 8" holes for the who day. If you use it you could always bring along a spare battery or two. It was talking about 14volt drills, I wonder how an 18 volt professional grade drill would work.
[signature]
suuure thats all you need is another powertool... have you looked in your garage lately?
[signature]
I think it would probably be just as fast to just do it the old fashioned way with a hand auger. If you don't already have a drill, you might as well buy a gas auger for everything you're going to spend. If you do already have one, well I know the one I have definitely does NOT have enough tork to drill a hole through 20" ice! Also the wider the hole, the less tork you'll get.
[signature]
Put good sharp blades on a hand auger, 6" ice 5 or 6 turns, 12" ice about 14 turns. Its also can be a good cardio work out if you drill a lot of holes.

fdg
[signature]