Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you?
As stated in another post, I am new too using a pontoon setup. I want to put an electric motor on it (work smart, not hard) [Wink]. I have been looking at the Minn Kota Endura 30# thrust. This morning sitting in the garage I noticed my Minn Kota Power Drive 55 with, I might add, the Co-Pilot. I use this on my 19' Bayliner, the one thing I love is the Co-Pilot. Just sit in the seat and operate the motor with the remote attached to my wrist.

As I look at the motor I start to wonder. Yes, huge overkill, I might could get that toon up on plane. [cool] LOL Then I hit the web, weight difference seems to be about 8lbs. MK 55PD about 25lbs, Endura 30# about 16lbs, I weight about 200lbs, don't carry a lot of extra out with me (yet). It does have a 54" adjustable shaft, so height is a bit much. Coming up with a flat surface to mount it to is no issue. I am concerned about "run time", it does appear that a bigger motor with a group 24 battery will not last as long.

Searching on here I found a couple of you that run 50# thrust motors, but transom mount.

So, use what I have or buy a new one?

I did see a used Minn Kota 30# for $60 this morning in the classifieds. If I will end up with issues using my 55PD, I'd rather spend the money on another one. Just thought maybe I could save myself some dollars.
[signature]
What boat do you have? I know one person a while back that put a Minn Kota power drive on his Skykomish. Same ideal, running it from a wrist band.. One complaint he had is that it didn't track.....it is a pontoon with no rudder, duh. He also tried to use it in the forward mode which will use more power as it was mounted to the rear deck and pushing instead of pulling.

As for the #30, I use it on my 8' Assault and my 8" Predator. It works fantastic and using it the last two outings, I am getting about 7 hours on a #27 battery.

I think it works just fine on the dual pontoons as the footprint is small, less drag.
[signature]
I had an Endura 30 and then upgraded to the Endura Max 50 with the "Digital Maximizer" feature. From my experience, I get longer run times with the Max 50 than the Endura 30. I also much prefer the extra power -- especially when the wind kicks up.

I assume your Power Drive 55 also has the Digital Maximizer technology, so I think you will find the Power Drive 55 runs longer, has more power, and doesn't cost anything extra.

I can't comment on how well the remote control will work on a 'toon.
[signature]
I wouldn't put anything but a MinnKota 30 on a toon.

ALL the MinnKotas are designed for a top speed of around 5MPH. So a bigger motor only means more inefficiency on a low-drag toon. Some people like the longer booms of the next size up motor -- that makes sense. Other than that, complete waste of time.

Even the MinnKota 30 is overkill for a toon from a power perspective.

If you want to go faster, a new prop will be required.
[signature]
One thing to think about is how long a shaft you will need to keep the prop in the water. Also as stated by FG always turn the head around so that the motor pulls instead of push. I have a friend who found out what I meant as I did circles around him as he did circles in one place.

I would say give it a try and see how it works. If you current motor won't do the job then look at purchasing a new one.
[signature]
If you already own it, try it out. See how it works for you. Just set it up behind you so that it pulls you. Since you are using a remote that should be easy....just turn the head around. You steer with your fins as the motor pulls you backwards.
[signature]
[quote MasterDaad]I wouldn't put anything but a MinnKota 30 on a toon.

ALL the MinnKotas are designed for a top speed of around 5MPH. So a bigger motor only means more inefficiency on a low-drag toon. Some people like the longer booms of the next size up motor -- that makes sense. Other than that, complete waste of time.

Even the MinnKota 30 is overkill for a toon from a power perspective.

If you want to go faster, a new prop will be required.[/quote]

I am no mechanic so I have no real knowledge of this other that the ol' "been there, done that"
I have been using a motor on a float tube back in the 80's.
First off, you can not change the prop on all Minn Kota's. Make sure you know you can on your model.
I used an old 28lb thrust on my donut, then on my 6' pontoon. Still on that pontoon and still working. I step up to a 36 lb thrust for my 12' pontoon, my 6' Navigator II (a discontinued model by Scadden) and many others till it died. I bout the 40 lb thrust Maxxum for the X5 because of the U shape and the diameter of the toons. Had it for 6 years, it died this year. I now have and use the Endura 45 and the 30.
I can tell you, the older 36 and the Maxxum had large props. The newer 45 and 36 have smaller props in fact the same prop. I looked at changing prop as I have spare bigger ones...no go and not recommended.

I do know from experience that thrust power makes a big difference. I can put that 30 on my X5 and not only will it drain the battery quicker, you will barely be moving...even at 5.
Maybe not the prop and I am not excited about the smaller prop because I do believe the bigger was more effective, but more thrust is NEEDED for bigger boats.
[signature]
Always trust practical experience over theory. If it makes a difference it makes a difference.

The digital maximizer, mentioned above, is also a real advantage. The motor drive mechanism of the 5-speed setting motors is really wasteful compared to a digital PWM.

The prop change I referred to would be to a non-MinnKota prop. I'll be running some experiments with some model airplane and boat props on my MinnKota 30 and posting results.

One post I read boasted a 28% increase in efficiency with a model airplane prop in this type of application.
[signature]
Now that really has my interest. If it were earlier in the season, I would try for sure.
Can you give any ideas as to which propeller?
[signature]
I run mostly long distances. I am traveling to and from Sturgeon holes. When I am using a electric motor there is one hole that is just over a mile and another that is 2 miles one way. I needed to test to get the most out of my battery and to speed up so I was not spending all my time in route.
I have tested the endura models. I have a 40 and a buddy of mine had a 50 and a older 28 I think. We traded them around and traded battery's and did a lot of testing. They were all the same speed with the same boat. Now my 40 on my Sportsman 9 was faster than any combo with his boat, you can see in the video mine catches his and is passing it. He has a Outcast cougar. He now has an endura 30 and it is a great motor for him.
The fastest speed recorded in reverse with legs in the water was 3 MPH. We came up with a different way to run our boats with the head set to go backwards we run them forward. This is the fastest mode I have tested yet with the motor set to go backwards. The fastest I have ran my Sportsman with the electric motor is 3.9 on flat water, but I did have a tail wind, and that was forward, this was tested with a GPS. Most people just guess the speed I know for a fact. Here is a video of how we do it. Ron
[signature]
I don't know yet. The tests I saw were on, I believe, an old Endura 36 using a 10x6APC.

On the C30 I'm planning to take a smattering of 8-10" props to try. I'm a model airplane guy so I already have several sitting around.

I may take just the motor out to the local pond to try it and see how large I can go without over-amping the motor.

Before I can get real data including GPS speed I'll actually have to find and buy a toon Smile
[signature]
Ron you fish rivers. Granted slow current, but still a current. I also understand going up a river you need to see where you are going. I am just asking about your test and again, keep in mind most of use fish stillwater.
What if you had the motor PULL you with your feet up and steer with oars. I still say pulling in more efficient. At least on stillwater specially with wind.
I am betting I get miles on my motors using them all day, but for me, how fast one can get there is never an issue. We have used a GPS as well, but never paid attention.

On a river of course you want zero drag. Great you figured out what works for you, and cool you shared it.
[signature]
I'll bet you are getting miles too FG...

Here's a link to table one guy put together using a MinnKota 30 on a Hobie Fish Cat and an 80Ahr battery:

http://tufox.com/hobie/TrollingPerformance.html
[signature]
Yes the speed was taken on the river but the flows were next to nothing. The speeds I saw were the same as when I fish ponds, lakes, and Reservoirs. Max speed with a pontoon like mine with your legs in the water is 2.8 to 3 MPH. Forward with the oars in the water is 3.4 to 3.9 MPH.

I would be interested to see what a U shaped pontoon that weighs less would do with the same motor and battery. I am thinking that the top speed would be very close to the same if not a little slower due to the drag from the U but maybe it would be out of the water enough not to matter. It would be interesting to see. Ron
[signature]
I haven't found a GPS will give the REAL speed in open waters like rivers or lakes. A GPS instantaneously calculates distance of movement divided by time to get the displayed speed. It cannot allow for wind, current, tracking swings over the same course, and declining battery power with discharge. For example, if you are fighting a headwind it might show 0 mph when you are really going 3mph just to hold position, which would be a HUGE error!

APC props are under $5 but will need to be adapted from their 1/4" hole to the larger troll shaft diameter. I find the longest EQUIVALENT props to be more efficient, for example a 12X4 might be better than a 10X6 mentioned in the reference.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote MasterDaad]I don't know yet. The tests I saw were on, I believe, an old Endura 36 using a 10x6APC.

On the C30 I'm planning to take a smattering of 8-10" props to try. I'm a model airplane guy so I already have several sitting around.

I may take just the motor out to the local pond to try it and see how large I can go without over-amping the motor.

Before I can get real data including GPS speed I'll actually have to find and buy a toon Smile[/quote]
[signature]
[quote idahoron]Yes the speed was taken on the river but the flows were next to nothing. The speeds I saw were the same as when I fish ponds, lakes, and Reservoirs. Max speed with a pontoon like mine with your legs in the water is 2.8 to 3 MPH. Forward with the oars in the water is 3.4 to 3.9 MPH.

I would be interested to see what a U shaped pontoon that weighs less would do with the same motor and battery. I am thinking that the top speed would be very close to the same if not a little slower due to the drag from the U but maybe it would be out of the water enough not to matter. It would be interesting to see. Ron[/quote]

The U is out of the water. But because it is more flotation/air, they ride higher in the water. Foe example, the new 3 man drift/raft with three people rides 1 1/2" Meaning smaller footprint.
What setting are you running these motors on?
[signature]
Prop reamers are something I have Smile

Yeah, longer usually is better for props. It's good to know you've gone clear up to 12".

My current test plan is to go down to a Provo Harbor on a calm day and run tests inside the harbor where there should be very minimal current effects.

And I'll be testing using a single 3S 5.5Ahr Lithium which will be recharged after each test.

A Watt meter will keep track of both Voltage and current so I should be able to control for changes in the input voltage as I test different props.

Thanks again
[signature]
We were running on 5 full speed ahead[cool]
Ron
[signature]
Thanks. I got to try both direction.
[signature]
MD:

[quote MasterDaad]Prop reamers are something I have Smile

PON: I made a quick change prop adapter from a 1.25" diameter hole saw by cutting 2 slots out and removing the cutting teeth. A snug rubber stopper is placed on the 1/4" hole saw drill bit behind the prop to shove it into the slots. The stopper comes off quickly without leaving any marks after testing

Yeah, longer usually is better for props. It's good to know you've gone clear up to 12".

PON: I've tested up to 16" with geared motors and props of different brands, but 13X4 may be the limit on direct drives, plus the draft issues.

My current test plan is to go down to a Provo Harbor on a calm day and run tests inside the harbor where there should be very minimal current effects.

And I'll be testing using a single 3S 5.5Ahr Lithium which will be recharged after each test.

PON: I use 24v cordless drill lithiums like the $65 good price 4Ah Toro from Amazon running through a PWM.

A Watt meter will keep track of both Voltage and current so I should be able to control for changes in the input voltage as I test different props.

PON: I don't know if the same watts driving off a high voltage are equivalent to those of a low voltage with the same motor. On some projects I use 24v to drive 12v motors, but it won't be that much in your case, maybe 12.8v down to maybe 11v....

Thanks again[/quote]

Sure, this area is just one of my hobbies.

Pon.
[signature]