Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
float tubing Scofield or shore?
Want to try one trip at scofield before it freezes. Anyone interested in tagging along and float tubing it or would it be better from shore this time of year? Any suggestions?
[signature]
I'd suggest warm waders this time of year in a tube. It's almost getting time to put those toys away. Last year I went out in my toon this time of year and stayed out about 3 hours with just my feet and legs to the calf in the water and I did realize it until I started kicking back in, but I had gotten so cold I was getting hypothermic and my body was not doing what I wanted it to do and I just about didn't make it in. So be careful and know when to say when. It surprised me and scared me a bit. I put a motor on now so I'm not relying on kicking back in. I also built footrests out of the water so I don't lose so much heat. Have fun but don't plan on being out too long at a time. Later J
[signature]
Might wanna take an ice breaker.
[signature]
You might want too buy some neoprene waders and wear snow pants, sweat pant and thick socks. I've fished at tibble fork around this time of year when the ice just began around the edges of the lake and was still warm even when weather was like mid 30's with snow and rain falling.
[signature]
No cotton!
[signature]
That is something I should clarify, I was wearing breathable waders with Levi's underneath and a jacket so I wasn't geared up for real cold weather like I should have been. But it didn't seem real cold so I thought I was fine. That's when you need to watch out. Later J
[signature]
This is the time of year that the breathables are definitely put away. Way too cold.
[signature]
It's starting to get neoprene weather that's for sure, or like FFL says wear something warm inside. I have been lazy this year and have been getting by with knee boots and foot rests so my feet stay out of the water in my kick boat. It's been much warmer that way. I have a front mounted electric motor that gives me great control over position so I haven't needed to put my feet in the water. Later J
[signature]
All I have is breathables. The key is DO NOT wear cotton underneath. Simple. Wear Body Armor, Carhart, Duofold,Hot Chilly, Smart Wool......
I wear a nylon layer of under armor, then fleece bibs, wool sock with Nylon liner and a wool or fleece top. But this is stuff I can wear to shovel, snow mobile, etc.
You do not need to put the light weight away, they are just for water repellent, jut dress right underneath.
[signature]
If the choice is shore or float, FLOAT! Always the right answer.

I have to drive to Salt Lake from Colorado the next two weeks, and will be driving past Schofield....with the wife and kids. Not fishing it is going to KILL ME. Best of luck, and wish i could throw my tube out there too.

My next time out anywhere will be on the hard deck.
[signature]
I believe Scofield was 30% iced over yesterday.

You may already be too late.

If I were going today I'd take a tube and an Ice Auger.
[signature]
Hmmm only 30% eh? Looks like it will be soon, time to pull my ice gear out and give it the once over.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Hmmm only 30% eh? Looks like it will be soon, time to pull my ice gear out and give it the once over.[/quote]

You going to have more time to Ice fish than you did tubing? Are Trains seasonal?
[signature]
I might get out a couple times this year for a little ice fishing. Not weekly like I attempt to during warmer months. Gotta try
To stay sane somehow.[Tongue]
[signature]