Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mary Ice Fishing Adventure
On Wednesday EvilTyeDyeTwin (who didn't ice fish last year) and I went to attempt a early season ice fishing trip to Lake Mary. We wanted to do lake Catherine but after the avalanche accident I personally watched (see story after the pics) we needed to do something safer. Considering I took a dip last year at Mary's around this same time of year, with similar conditions, I was pessimistic on whether or not I would be able to ice fish it.

We started at Brighton...............
[Image: IMG_9553_zps9c73d381.jpg]

Made our way to Lake Mary............
[Image: IMG_9560_zps31976dd8.jpg]

And took the standard "no swimming sign" shot........
[Image: IMG_9575_zpsaaa05892.jpg]

It was then the moment of truth. With the new snow (20 inches) the shore was rotted. So we busted out our avalanche shovels and built a snow bridge to the ice. It was then that I drilled the 1st hole.
[Image: IMG_9581_zpsdf22c3dc.jpg]

Shocked that there was 8 inches (5 cloudy, 1 inch of slush/water, 2 inches of clear) I went further till I reached the end of the rope. The ice looked different so i drilled and heard the cracking. Sure enough the ice was 4 inches of breakable slush and 1 inch of clear ice. I went no further.

But that was far enough to get into a few of Mary's Brooks.........
[Image: IMG_9588_zpsf82f18bf.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9596_zps99234da7.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9599_zps64a3afec.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9602_zps0829efeb.jpg]

By 5pm and 7 brook trout added to our names we left in a hurry to beat the darkness.
[Image: IMG_9610_zps9e8ceb7b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_9611_zps52969112.jpg]

Last Sunday I was up at Cathrines Pass with my backcountry ski buddies. We had toured the area the day before and noted the windloading occurring during the large storm onto a hill named Rocky Point. On sunday we sat at the pass for lunch and I told my group, "we can't ski that today, even the safer route in is sitting under that dangerous slope to the side of it."

Not 10mins later I saw the slope avalanche (2.5 to 3 feet deep, 200 feet wide) on the 4th skier to go down. After watching him ride for more than half the slope I was convinced there was going to be a burial. Luckily he managed to stay on top of the debris and didn't get taken to the bottom of the hill. It was intense watching 5 people running out of the way and seeing a body rolling in the slide.

Lake Catherine is very close by to Rocky Point and all of that terrain frequently avalanches right into the lake. The possibility of a slide hitting anyone on that lake is extreme, especially with the conditions out there. Please have a partner, shovel, probe, beacon, avalung, and the knowledge to use these items if you choose to ice fish the lakes in the wasatch! Avalanche assessment skills and safe route finding skillls are essential!
[signature]
Totally Jealous!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Totally Jealous![/quote]

Yeah especially since it was "ice flies" sticking out of those brookies mouths! Not my favorite type of fly fishing. It was the 1st time in forever that I used bait though.
[signature]