Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonneville whitefish run at Bear Lake is ON!!
Monday, November 25, 2013

Bear Lake Fishing Report:

Surface water temperature is about 46 degrees. is now flowing into the lake from the Bear River. Boats can be launched at the Utah State Park Marina, 1st Point, and Rainbow Cove boat ramps and new courtesy docks are in the water at all locations. Rainbow Cove access has been fully paved as well as the parking areas. Although there is a dock in the water at Cisco Beach, it is not recommended that you attempt to launch a boat there due to the rough, rocky shoreline. The Bonneville whitefish run has begun. Anglers started catching limits of fish today and excellent fishing for whitefish should be available through Dec 10th or so. The best locations are any shoreline area with rocks that have depths of about 5-15’. This includes off the Utah State Park marina dikes and anywhere along the east side shoreline (especially the Cisco Beach area). Use small (1/8 to 1/16 oz.) jigs are about 1.5-2.0” long, small spinners (#0 and #1) and small spoons. Color does not seem to matter right now. Fish the lures so they are bumping along the bottom while you are making a slow retrieve. If you aren’t hanging up on rocks once in a while you probably are not fishing close enough to the bottom. It helps considerably if you “tip” your jig with a small piece of worm or a meal worm. The bite can be subtle at times and usually happens when the lure is sinking back to the bottom after you jig it. Keep the line as tight as possible to detect these bites. At other times the fish will slam the lure. Anglers are taking a few nice cutthroat trout while fishing for the whitefish. Don’t be surprised if you happen to also hook into a lake trout! Lighter lines (#4-#8 lb test and a light to medium rod help). If you try to use the same tackle as you would for jigging for cutthroat trout or lake trout, it is typically too heavy and you will miss a lot of hits.

Anglers are also picking up cutthroat trout by jigging on the bottom in 60-80’ of water off the rockpile and Cisco Beach using tube jigs tipped with cisco. Trollers have been reporting better action for cutthroat and lake trout this past week. Best luck has come using flatfish off downriggers in 40-65’ of water. Remember, in order to keep a cutthroat trout from Bear Lake it must have a healed fin clip (usually the adipose fin). Cutthroat trout with all fins intact have to be released. Consider releasing large lake trout in order to maintain the fishery. Lake trout can easily live to over 35 years old in Bear Lake.

Garden City Community Fishery Pond
The pond level is completely full, but there is some ice along the edges which is making fishing difficult. The town drilled a well and water will now flow into the pond throughout the winter. If you can get to the water, try using small spinners or bead-headed nymphs behind a bubble or wooly buggers on sinking tip fly line. Powerbait and worms seem to work better later in the year too.

Laketown Reservoir
Pond level is full, fishing pressure has been light and ice is beginning to form around the edges. Self-creel cards have shown that fishing has been fair-good triploid rainbows. Anglers have had the best luck with worms and powerbait, but spinners will also work well at this time of year. For fly fishing, try greenish-brown wooly buggers or other nymphs on a sinking fly line.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, Bear Lake is a long way from my home, but your report certainly fires me up with the desire to head north. Unfortunately, the high cost of fuel will keep me closer to home. Ahhhhh to be rich.
[signature]
[quote BearLakeFishGuy]Anglers started catching limits of fish today and excellent fishing for whitefish should be available through Dec 10th or so.[/quote]

Wow Scott, the run seems a little early this year from what I remember other years. My personal notes say that "the whitefish run can begin as early as Thanksgiving". I guess I'll have to modify my notes a little. Would you say that this is a bit early or would your say it is "normal" for the run to begin now?

I sure hope they don't all get tired of "the dance" before a bunch of us BFTers make it up there to chase them on Saturday, December 7th.

--- Coot ---
[signature]
Well its a little of both. Thanksgiving falls very late this calendar year. Its usually around the 24th, but this year its the 28th. With that said, I was actually a little surprised to see that many fish in at this time. Typically at the beginning of the run they are a little finicky, but today it was slam city, so they must have been going for a few days. I haven't seen anyone fishing for them before today, but you simply could not argue with the outstanding weather. Beats sitting behind my confuser for a few hours.
Scott
[signature]
Thanks Scott for the update, I was going to be late showing up as well, so glad you let us know... Thanks J
[signature]
Ok! Screw working today, I'm headin to Cisco beach!
[signature]
[quote gmwahl]Ok! Screw working today, I'm headin to Cisco beach![/quote]

L.O.L. !! Now there's a man with a good sense of priorities.
[signature]
So how did it turn out? J
[signature]
I fished from the state park marina on Sunday and no signs or bites, must have just started moving in yesterday or today. I'm back at my "Other" home for a few days but hope to be back on Friday. Boat is already up there and ready to go! [Smile]
[signature]
the time has come!!!! pumped!!! been looking forward to this all year long. Best tasting fresh water fish on the planet!!!!
[signature]
Only fished for one hour. One 17" cutt on a panther Martin and no whitefish. I'm still learning though so it may have just been me. Fun way to be late to work though. I think I'll try off the marina in the morning with jigs.
[signature]
There was one guy fishing off the State parks marina today but I really couldn't tell if he was catching the whites or not but he was doing a lot of sitting.
[signature]
Sounds good thanks for the update. J
[signature]
Scott,
I think I may have caught the new state record catch and release whitefish today. It was 21.5 inches long and had a 14.75 inch girth. Using the trout formula calculator it comes out at 5.84 Lbs.

Oops! I looked a little closer and it looks like you have the record. I was looking at the catch and keep record. This is still the biggest white fish I have ever caught!
[signature]
What a beast! Nicely done.

What's the current record?
[signature]
The record catch and release is 23.25 caught by Scott. The record catch and keep is 21 inches according to what I read on the DWR sight.
[signature]
Aww... It's not often that I say "shoulda kept it". [Image: happy.gif] Great fish either way. I thought you were crazy saying a 21.5 inch fish was weighing close to six Lbs., but I wouldn't argue it a second after seeing that picture.
[signature]
If your planning to measure a fish put the tape measure on the ground or floor not over the fish body because it adds inches.

Just saying and dang that one nice BL WF.
[signature]
I know! If I was real serious about measuring it I would have laid it out flat and pinched it's tail like it shows in the proclamation. That was a good point though! Sometimes you don't think about things until after you have taken the picture.
[signature]
I'm planning on fishing it mon-tues. has there been any change as far as color that is working or is it still any color? I've never fished Bear lake before, so I'm looking forward to the trip. Thanks.
[signature]