Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report
I hit Strawberry early today with the tubes.

The boat ramp at Soldier Creek was mostly dry... as was the road from the highway to the marina.

It was FOGGY until 10-ish but it was a gorgeous day afterward.

I caught 21 fish in about 3 hours of fishing. Flies were the ticket early. I caught about half the total in the second hour on tube jigs. They were coming in so quick I couldn't keep two poles in the water.
[signature]
Very nice! I told my little bride I was going fishing on Thanksgiving. She advised me to take my tent because that was going to be where I was going to live if I did.

With that said, I guess I am going to stay home, but if the weather permits I'll be out chasing them Friday or over the week-end. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
[signature]
Hopeful for a friday trip as well.Happy turkey day[fishin]
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am going up there tomorrow on the Strawberry side and I was concerned about launching my boat but if the Soldier Creek ramp was pretty dry the Strawberry ramp should be good too.
Glad to hear you caught some fish. Sounds like you had a good time.
[signature]
You won't have any problem with the boat on the ramp. We launched from the Strawberry marina about 1:230 PM and stayed out fishing until dark. It was warm enough that we didn't want to leave, knowing the ramp was not going to freeze up. No issues getting the boat loaded and up the ramp.
[signature]
[quote pezvela]Very nice! I told my little bride I was going fishing on Thanksgiving. She advised me to take my tent because that was going to be where I was going to live if I did.
.[/quote]

Yeah messing up the significant others holiday plan is usually not the best idea. Sometimes ya just gotta know when to cry uncle and give in.[:/]
[signature]
Great report.

My son and I are heading out there tomorrow. Hope they're biting. They probably are getting pretty hungry and stocking up the food in their bellies. That's my hope anyway. Looking like fun.

Any particular time of the day better than others? We were thinking of arriving at the crack of dawn, but I think that the fishing might be good all day.

Maybe will sleep in and head out a little bit later. Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject of time of day for the fishing. Do they bite in the afternoon?
[signature]
It was really foggy until about 9:30 or so... at least on the soldier creek side. I wouldn't have gone out without GPS.

I definitely had the best bite of the day just about the time the fog started lifting (9-ish).

But I caught fish the whole time I was there at a pretty good clip.
[signature]
I went to Strawberry today the 29th and launched my boat at the main marina with not problem. Ramp was ice and snow free and one dock was still in the water which made getting in an out very easy. We trolled in Strawberry bay and caught 29 total. About 12 were bows. The weather was amazing and the water was smooth until about 11 am when a small wind came up.

jscottphisher
[signature]
Thanks for the info.
jscottphisher
[signature]
I'm planning on going out in my tube tomorrow. Wish me luck.
[signature]
I fish the berry on the 29th as well. Not sure what the road conditions going into renegade looks like but the boat ramp looked free and clear, at least from the water. Plenty of trucks and boat anglers there as well. Hope this helps someone because I would have rather launched there instead of the marina.

3" pearl white jigs still seem to be the color of the day. Produced somewhere between 35-40 fish. Still plenty of fish willing to play but the cooler temps seemed to have them very lethargic. Slower retrieved was much more effective this trip. Water temp was 36 to 38 degrees depending on location so I won't be long. There was also a very large section of skimmed over ice about a 1/8" straight across the bay from renegade. It for the most part it all melted off by mid day but it's a sign of good things if you're ready and itching to get the snowmobiles out.[cool]
[signature]
My group hit the berry today (sat). Decided to just shore fish. Hit Reneade but we couldn't see anything but shallow water so we headed back to Haws Point. After 2+ hours we pulled up and went to Mud Creek and stayed until 1:30. Used just about everything in the boxes and the group had a total of 10 lines in the water and scored a whopping 4 bites with zero hookups. Not what I would call 'hot' fishing. Perhaps using the boat would have produced but we didn't see any boats pulling in any either. Very disappointed but should be used to that from Strawberry after the past several years. Other shore anglers had similar success of those we asked.
11 degrees when we started but felt warmer than that until the breeze monster started up in Mud Creek. Beautiful day for fishing no doubt but very sucky for catching. FYI...used traditional baits, wooly buggers, minnows and tube jigs and several others.
[signature]