Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Whitefishing 11-30-13
[#0000FF]I gladly accepted an offer to ride up with OldCoot and join BearLakeFishGuy in his boat...for some whitefish action. Me...in a boat with two other guys...on a Saturday. And the world did not end. In fact, it turned out to be one of those rare calm days on Bear Lake that make a special place even more beautiful.

Launched on the east side of the lake, in Scott's boat. Hit the ramp sometime after 8 am. Light ripple on the lake...which died down to flat calm a bit later. Air temp 18 degrees and water temp 43. Surprising number of other boats hitting the east shoreline. Some trolling out further. Most working on the whitefish.

Thanksgiving came a week later this year but the whitefish action seems to have started a bit earlier than "normal". Good catches have been made in several areas around the lake during the past week. Most years don't see them coming in numbers until about the first week of December.

The first spot we wanted to hit was already occupied by another boat, so we moved a bit further north and found fish along another stretch of shoreline. Slow at first but then a few moved in and we all caught fish. Scott scored first on whitefish. Then I got into a couple. Coot must have thought he was back on Strawberry. His first two fish were cutts...on a small tube jig. Then he switched to the gold and orange pattern pony head jigs that Scott and I were using and we all caught whitefish.

Action died down at our first stop so we made the run up to Cisco Beach. Several other boats working the area but we found one of Scott's spots and dropped the anchor in about 10 feet of water off the rocks. Didn't take long to get into some active fish. Oh, we all missed a lot more than we caught, but we did bring in enough to keep the net busy. Most were good healthy fish from 16 to 20 inches. A couple bigger and a few smaller. Scott also brought in a nice rainbow and an unnice carp to add to our species count for the day.

Since Coot's main objective for the day was to just get enough fish for some video footage of the filleting process...and because we had the long drive back to "civilization"...we opted to make a short day of it. We quit on still biting fish around noon and stopped briefly at our first area before hitting the ramp. There had been several boats working that area but they were mostly gone when we pulled in for a final fling.

There were plenty of whitefish still hanging around that area but a high percentage of the ones we managed to hook were smaller than the larger ones we had been hooking earlier. And those white-dinks were experts at bait thievery. We kept "whiffing" the hooksets and bringing in bait-free jigs. But we added a couple of keepers to the "death well" and then finished our run to the ramp.

To recap: We found fish almost anywhere there were rocks in water from 6' to 15' deep. Best action for us was about right in the middle of that. And while we sometimes got fish at the end of a long cast we probably got more my teasing them into following the jigs back to the boat and then doing the wiggle jiggle vertical thing right under the boat at the end of the retrieve.

I took a whole big box of different colored "roadrunner" jigs...with the little spinner blades. I tried most of them and caught fish on almost every color I tried. Scott and Coot also used them a lot, but they also fished both small tubes and small black twisters with good results. For a long time during mid morning the "hot" ticket was the gold with orange spots patterned pony jigs. But as light levels changed with passing clouds or rippled water lures in black tones seemed to produce better. I personally believe that finding the fish, making a good presentation and being able to detect the often light bites was more important than color.

We headed back to Scott's home to set up the fillet boards and allow Coot to shoot some footage. Only took a few minutes for Scott and I to slab off the fillets from the whitefish...and the lone cutt we had kept. Then Coot and I were off down the road...with some lovely chocolate candies made by Scott's family for Christmas every year. Didn't take us long to destroy the evidence.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Looks like a nice day on the pond for you guy. That water is so clear up there, it makes it nice to look down and see the fish coming up or on the bottom, in the case of fishing that shallow. Thanks for the report and pics Pat.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you like it. Happy to do the R & D for ya.

It is amazing how shallow the whities come in, but how tough it is to see the fish below you until they start fighting at the end of your line. Their back coloration makes them disappear against the color of the rocks.

By the way, the eggs in the females we filleted were still fairly tight in the sacs. Looks like another week or 10 days before the serious spawn begins.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
My son and I just got back from first point, fishing in about 10' of water. The wind was blowing and the waves picked up enough that we called it quits by 10. We did manage 4 whitefish, 1 carp and a few that got away at the boat. I would have been on the water in that spot yesterday when the conditions were so good except for my fishing buddy (son) wanted to stay home and play video games instead! I'm not into going solo in a boat so we did it today. Better than nothing, but I sure wish I had gone yesterday.
By the way TD, how slow were you working the jig and how far out were they hitting? We got ours out about 30-40' from the boat in about 8-12' of water, but nothing up close and we had to barely creep the jig to get them to hit it.
[signature]
That looks like a lot of fun. Good trip!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sorry you missed out on the nicer weather conditions. Ever hear the saying "You shoulda been here yesterday"?

We kept varying our retrieves. Sometimes they hit it as soon as it hit the bottom. Other times it took a few lift and drops to get poked. Most of time I try to retrieve slowly...just above the bottom...with occasional pauses or slightly faster retrieves. There were some fish that pecked at the lures all the way back to the boat and then hit as we began to reel back up for a new cast.

One of the things we found was that you could never tell the size of the fish by the (missed) bites. Some of the hardest hits were by smaller fish...and some of our biggest fish felt like bluegill nibbles. But, as I like to say, "Hooksets are free".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks. You did pretty good your own self. Nice tigers. Love the colors this time of year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Looks like the bear treated you well. My guess is those whitey's have a date with the smoker? Enjoy the eats.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Pan-fried fillets tonight...smoker fired up tomorrow. Good eats indeed. Wanna try some?

No complaints about the treatment by the Bear this year. Nice weather, good fishing, good company.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Would love some actually!

P.S. I was secretly hoping to see a "big mac" in your hands.
[signature]
Great catch, we were docking our boat when you fellors were too in the mourning! I was in the green John boat, we took off , when you just put the boat in the water! Glad you guys scored a bunch if whites
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]On our long way home from a wonderful day on the Bear, TubeDude and I were commenting about how every trip we learn something ... even after all these years. I got a few more tips to add to next year's "Tips and Tricks" post.

I was pretty certain that my old go-to crappie jig would out-fish TubeDude's pony road runners. As predicted, TD and BLFG both started out the day using TD's ponies and I with my crappie jigs. It was pretty hard to admit defeat, but after I had only caught one and they each five, it was time to tuck my tail between my legs and ask for one to tie on. What's even worse, is that TD had already given me a baggie full of them and I left them in the truck because I was certain that my limit would easily come in on my little tubes. But anyway, I started catching a few more once I switched up. It's always good to be schooled by the best. Those are the best lessons.

Here is what I seen BLFG do lots of times yesterday:
[inline Scott-Lifting-From-Net.gif]

I know Pat posted this pic but I think it's worth showing again:

[inline Pile-O-Fish.gif]

Pat and Scott made QUICK business of filleting them. Here is one of Pat's fork tricks:

[inline Pat-fileting-with-fork.gif]

And, as I write this reply, this is what's smoking in my smoker:

[inline Smoker-Full.gif]

Wow! what wonderful trip! Great weather, plenty of fish in the boat and most of all, a chance to fish with two of my all-time fishing mentors ... TubeDude and BearLakeFishGuy. I remember years ago, when TD was living in Arizona and posting stuff here on BFT, I always wanted to fish one time along side of him. Then once he came back to Utah and settled down, I still wanted to fish along side him but just never did. So this was great.

TubeDude and BearLakeFishGuy, you two guys are rock stars in my book! Thanks for the day.
[/size][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
This boat thing is getting to be a habbit. Good on ya. Looks like some healthy fish... It has always been fun catching whities at big blue...Glad you made the trip and shared the pics
[signature]
Hey Pat, nice report again its much appreciated. I wanted to head over this weekend as well, but family fun got the best of me, but hopefully next week. Thanks again for the report. J
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins] I was secretly hoping to see a "big mac" in your hands.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Sorry. The trip was strictly for whitefish. I have dredged a few of the "other species" up from that lake but have never been a rabid member of the "mack pack". [/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]It's hard to believe that this was our first trip together, at least in the same boat. Of course I know that I would never get you in a float tube. 'Bout time after I have been back in Utah for 10 years...and all the other times we have gotten together for other reasons.

Thanks again for the ride-along invite. And thanks to Scott for the boat ride. It was much appreciated and enjoyed.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]You probably didn't recognize us in our cold weather getups. But if you did, you shoulda shouted out a BFT howdy.

How did you guys do?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote fish_fear_me2]This boat thing is getting to be a habit. Good on ya. Looks like some healthy fish... It has always been fun catching whities at big blue...Glad you made the trip and shared the pics[/quote]

[#0000FF]Yeah, if I keep going out in boats I'm gonna have to change my handle. BoatDude? Nah. Ain't gonna happen. Only about 4 trips this year but that is still about 2 or 3 more than an average year. Maybe that does qualify as a habit.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
A few whites early,went a little deeper later on and landed a good cutt and a nice laker.... It was better than being home setting up Christmas decorations!
[signature]
[#0000FF]That is a good cutt. Nice work.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]