Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burbot Tactics
What rigs and or lures do you use and how do you fish for burbot? I want to get some this year but dont know where to go on the gorge or what to use.
[signature]

use glow grubs (twister tails) tipped with sucker meat of some kind. the north end seems to hold more fish. fish the jig just off the bottom a couple of inches only.
[signature]
Utwalleye has some good advice and I'd add to it by saying fish off rocky shorelines and points. If you want areas to try, the best after first ice is Firehole and Lost Dog. But as the ice get thicker down lake is better because those two spots get a lot of pressure early in the season. Good luck, hope that helps.
[signature]
Use glow lures and sucker meat.. tubes work great but my best luck has been with some hand painted spoons i paint with glow paint. Charge ur lure with a uv light often, every few moment, they will hit fast... Rocky south facing slopes in about 20-50 ft of water a few inches off bottom, jig or dead stick will work, they will hit either. Twilight time work best but I fish for them all night, till bout 3 am, I go from Ogden so once I'm there, I'm on the ice constantly. My favorite spot is firehole but buckboard and confluence are good spots as well. I think that's everything, anymore questions let me know.
[signature]
South facing slopes is little known but the crawdads and smaller fish they eat hang in that area cause its the last spot that gets sun so they follow food source
[signature]
What line strength and rod strength would be preferred?
[signature]
I use 8-10 pline. And I've used light to medium heavy on them, medium is what I use mostly but have got them on all between, my brother in law uses an ultra light and it looks like u have a whale on! But I'd say medium is best call, personally.
[signature]