Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Ice
Just a drive by, but it looks like a lot of ice on Willard Bay tonight. Anyone confirm that up close? J
[signature]
Ya I seen the ice to now I'm pumped I went to chesterfield and got skunk last weekend but I'm going to redeemed my self this weekend
[signature]
I can't wait, really wanna target some walleyes this season on the ice, does anyone have any advise where to hit them on the lake? My best guess would be at the mouth of the north marina but I've never gotten walleye there, honestly no walleye since I've moved here from Iowa, so I NEED some. Haha hope this weather lays a nice layer of ice.
[signature]
Now is the time to be careful, there is a real temptation to get out there this weekend and it may be safe and good to go, but you'll need to check as you go and watchout for thin spots. Mantua is looking very possible but risky. Be careful, have fun and let us know how it went. I might be there too if it will hold a fat guy. Later J
[signature]
I wish I was smart enough to tell you where you could find the walleye. I'm still at the accidental catch with my walleye, but I hear they like to chase food in that harbor so it could be an okay spot. Good luck. J
[signature]
I won't try this weekend, I'm more comfortable will 4-5 so plan is next weekend, better safe than sorry!
[signature]
I don't blame you I will probably do the same thing. Four or five inches gives a safety factor so thin spots still hold you. Good luck with your ventures. J
[signature]
And same to you!
[signature]
Thank you. J
[signature]
If I make it there ill be at the mouth of the north marina in the dark blue shapell 400 ice hut, pop in and ill give report if any!
[signature]
Thanks for the invite, I'll see what happens next week. Later J
[signature]
I went up to the North marina to check it out, lots of open water. I did check the ice right off the ramp and it was 2 to 2.5 inches but it made a lot of noise as I stepped out to drill the holes. I did not try fishing but the water was murky. The channel is frozen but there is a warm water spring in that area so if you try it, stay on the North side of the channel and be careful. Here are a few pics.
[signature]
Thanks for checking Curt, looks like other spots will be up and running sooner... J
[signature]
Do you have to pay this time of year to get in?
Thanks.
[signature]
Yea, it sucks but the price never changes at Willard, same price in the Winter as it is in the Summer.
[signature]
Yeah, they close all the bathrooms and services, but price is - entry. But hey - you can get a scope on the purdy xmas lights, eh! ShaWing!

I would dig a chance to hit on a crappie rage on early harbor ice. But is it even deep enough this year, for them to take a run?
That's my thought. I doubt there's six feet of water in the harbor now.
[signature]
I would really doubt there is any place in the North marina that is even three feet deep. To the East of the ramp and channel, if you look close at one of the pics it shows there are rocks and ground between the ramp and the main part of the marina to the East, so it would be hard for fish to even get into that area. There is water flowing out of that area because there is a spring on that side but the out flow is less than a foot deep and I'd guess only a few inches. I should have walked over there and checked it yesterday but I just don't see any fish going into that area until the water level comes up.
The channel is about 6 ft deep, at it's deepest point, so there could be fish in that area.
[signature]
What are the winter rates to get in ???
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
I haven't looked at the price in a while because I have a State parks pass but I believe it is $10 or $11. I'm not sure they will answer but you can give them a call, the number is 435-734-9494. The best time to call is around 9am.
[signature]