Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anybody here fished in La Paz?
We are going there for Christmas staying across the bay at Paraiso del Mar. I booked a panga with Tailhunter International the first day but will be fishing from shore or from a kayak the rest of the time. It sounds like Cabrilla and Sierra are the most likely species to target. Any help via the forum or a PM would be appreciated. I will report on the adventure. Happy Holidays.

Eric
[signature]
Drove the Baja in '86. Lived on kelp bass and tequila for a month. That's about all i remember. Oh and to shuffle your feet when wade fishing. Not pleasant stepping on a ray. I think it would be cool to go out a jig some Humbolts! Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy your trip.

Rod

Let's fish after New Years!
[signature]
I fish the baja regularly. Anything chrome will work for the Sierra. They have sharp teeth so a lot of anglers will use a light wire leader. I have had more success with 60 lb mono.

Sebile stick shads are the ticket for cabrilla along with BIG swim baits.
[signature]
Thanks Dude, I will shuffle my feet to avoid the rays and channel young Rod to inspire me on being adventurous. Let's hook up when I get back. Happy Holidays buddy.
[signature]
Thanks for your help FNA. If I can ever repay the favor down here in the SW, let me know. It looks like those cabrilla hit like freight trains. I'll let you know how it goes. I appreciate you responding.
[signature]
You're welcome. Good luck and post lots of pics!
[signature]
Can't wait to see the report. I haven't been there before but I am looking into a 5 or 7 day trip to that exact same place. I will likely go either in the spring or fall. I am really curious how the fishing is from shore or kayak (my favorite). I'll go out on a panga on at least three of the days but still want to do some kayak fishing. I need to decide whether to take the wife or a friend.
[signature]
Yes, you do not need 60 lb. I have never used more than 50 and caught tuna up to 240 lbs. Take a few with less depending on the bite. Some days its wide open and they will hit anything others need to go light
[signature]
When I am there, I am fishing from the beach. The 60 lb test I use is just the leader. It is then connected to 30 lb braid. You can wreck em from the beach or a yak. In a yak you can easily reach dorado too.
[signature]
I've fished the area near La Paz several times. Don't know about fishing near Paraiso del Mar, but you pretty much have to drive to access shore fishing when staying in La Paz. There's not much available right in town. Your booked with a great outfitter in Tailhunter. Jonathan runs a good operation. His restaurant is pretty darn good, too. Tailhunter has two primary locations for their fishing charters. If you depart from La Paz, there's a long boat ride to the fishing grounds. The other option, which I prefer, involves about an hour van ride with other anglers to the Las Arenas area where fishing starts almost as soon as you set foot in the panga. They pick you up at your hotel, feed you breakfast and get you to a panga just as the sun starts to rise. Pay attention to the route. If you have a rental car, it is an option for shore fishing. Jonathan would be a good source for info on shore and kayak fishing options. Try sending him an e-mail. He's always been responsive to my requests. Lemme know if you'd like more info. You've probably done your homework, but I can direct you to some good websites with info on what gear to bring and what to expect.

george
[signature]
Ktrout - I will fill you in on details when I get back except for advising you to take your wife or your buddy[pirate] My wife is my buddy[angelic] but I'm thankful she doesn't like to fish.

FNA - I assumed you meant 60lb leader, not line. I have some that I used it tarpon fishing with no problems and imagine it has more feel than wire leader but I've never used wire leader.

Mactuna - thanks for your input.

Bowfin - thanks for your help as well. Jonathan has been very responsive and it sounds like his operation is first class. We will be taking the van to Las Arenas. It sounds like they are still catching a few dorado and billfish but this is probably the worst possible time for me to be fishing there (which still makes it better than anything else I can think of). We have kayaks and will be exploring the shores of Paraiso but understand that I will need transport to get to any decent shore fishing. I have good rods & reels and a decent idea of gear but any specific recommendations you have would be appreciated. I got a $20 off coupon for Cabelas in the mail today if I spend $150 and am taking it as a sign from the heavens. By my math, I'll be making money on that deal. I'll be going to Cabelas this weekend to stock up so a post or PM would be appreciated. We are leaving Tuesday morning.

Thanks for all your help boys and let me know if I can ever return the favor here in the SW.

Eric
[signature]
Sent you a PM.
[signature]
La Paz was awesome - the best Mexican City I've been to so far. It was clean, safe, the people were friendly and it wasn't touristy. I was there with 13 family members, We rented a big house and had a blast.

I didn't get to fish as much as I'd like. My youngest son & I went out in a panga one day and caught several Sierra, a few small Cabrilla, an average Dorado and a Bonito but the highlight was doubling up on Roosters and releasing them. We kept enough fish to feed the family for the week. We had a few marlin look at us and I hooked one but lost it after about five minutes because I screwed up and tightened the drag too much at the wrong time. I also lost a nice Dorado who was tailwalking like crazy and threw me. The marlin photo is one a guy in another boat caught. I never could get out in a kayak because it was too windy and choppy. I fished an abandoned marina for a few hours most mornings and caught a bunch of Green Jacks and made some of them into ceviche which was incredible. I also caught and released some Yellowfin and Triggerfish.

To me, the fishing was pretty good but it was clearly the wrong time of the year because most species had already moved out and it was the windy season. I will go back to La Paz but not in December. It was too cold to swim in the ocean, too windy to fish from a kayak (which is my favorite) and definitely the worst time to fish from a panga.

Overall, it was one of the best vacations I've had. Thanks to all of you who helped me and please let me know how I can return the favor.

Eric

[Image: Sunrise_in_Las_Arenas.jpg]

[Image: Dorado1.jpg]

[Image: Sierra.jpg]

[Image: Bonito1.jpg]

[Image: Rooster_double.jpg]

[Image: Green_Jack.jpg]

[Image: Marlin.jpg]
[signature]
Sound like a great trip dude. Only one of the pic links is working.

You about ready to hit the ice? I'm thinking maybe Jan 1?
[signature]
Fixed the photos - thanks for the heads up.

Fishing Jan 1, 2 or 3 on the ice will occur. I hope you had a good Christmas buddy.

Eric
[signature]
I'm going to go somewhere Jan 1. Wanna get together?
[signature]