Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonus points help?
I was an active member of the Utah hunting and fishing community and BFT until 4.5 years ago when I left for military service. I am still a Utah Resident and pay state taxes there but don't have the opportunity to return to hunt elk as I did each year while living there. I am stationed in VA and spend a lot of time working and over seas. Last time I checked, in order to draw bonus points in Utah you have to buy a hunting license. It didn't used to be that way, you could just pay the 5 dollar fee for applying for a point. Since military members (that are Utah residents) have limited opportunities to return and hunt, the state should allow them to apply for bonus points without having to pay for the license they cant use. Utah DWR should allow active duty military stationed outside Utah to apply for points without purchasing a license or rebate the cost of the license if it is mailed to them before the season. I have contacted my representative at the state capitol and the DWR about this but no one takes any interest in it other than saying thank you for your concern. Does any one here have contacts or know the best avenue to implement this change for our military members?

Thank you for your help.

Good hunting!
[signature]
I feel your pain. They changed the law a couple years back , requiring a license purchase. I have a son on an LDS mission, and I have to buy a license for him even though he has not used any of the rescource for the past 2 years. The problem is that in Utah the DWR is funded from license and permit sales. I would like to see the state charge a recreational use permit fee for the non hunters ( a $10 yearly license) Many of these folks benefit from the DWR management of nongame animals. (bird watchers, blackfooted ferret, june suckers ect...) However we who are hunters and fishers flip the bill, And in cases like the military or missions ect... we pay while not benefiting . Seems a little unfair.
[signature]
I completely get your point here, but personally I like that a license needs to be purchased to participate in the draw or bonus points. If a license wasnt needed, everyone would pay just the $10 app fee and enter the drawing. People that hunt would be applying people that dont hunt just to build them up points to later envelope apply.
[signature]
I was not talking about everyone, which is the way it used to be. Only for Utah residents serving in the military, stationed somewhere else, who lose the opportunity to hunt there.
[signature]
I agree with you 100 %. There ought to be a license exemption for those who are away protecting our freedom to enjoy the outdoors. I too will contact my representative and if you can come up with any other idea's that might help I'd be onboard. I'm the proud father of a Navy Airman. Thanks for your service.
[signature]
You should bring up a military exemption at the RAC meetings.
[signature]
I would love to attend a RAC meeting but I am not in state and probably wont be for at least 3 more years. I am going to look up members who attend the RAC meeting and see if I can get their contact info to email them. If anyone else attends they could bring it up and help me by getting their contact info.
[signature]