Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We went catching at Mantua (12/8/13)
Oh man..what a day. Got to Mantua about noon, forgot a lighter for the heater but some friendly passer bys hooked us up. Two minutes from line in one nice bluegill, then my buddy's son's pole bends over. He lost what looked like a big trout..that was a preview of what was to come. One after another big shouldered rainbows, (14in+) nice size blue gill, one each 10 in large mouth bass (first time I've landed one through the ice) and two dink perch. We all had our limit and tossed back more. All right off the bottom with about three inches of clear ice on wax worms. A couple inches of fine powdered snow and some slush. You can still see spots of open water where the hundreds of coots were sitting and we didn't want to try out luck any closer to the far shore or the main inlet, but what an great day on the ice.
[signature]
Not that I want to poach your hole, but where did you fish so I know that it would be safe for me to go out tomorrow ?
[signature]
haha
[signature]
Ha no worries man, there are plenty of fish in there. Saturday we went off the boat ramp in the interest of not going in. Today we parked on the side and followed the trail of some brave souls who went out towards the middle, but we stayed a little closer to the shore in about 8 feet of water. We were on a weed bed so that held all the panfish. You should be able to see the main sled trail that everyone has been taking out there unless it gets covered tonight.
[signature]
That whole lake is a weed bed

[signature]
Ha very true.
[signature]
So true, but I remember pulling 24" to 26" Trout out of there. Loved that little lake.
Too many people these days.
[signature]
We where out ther to day to we walk from the boat docks when we walk aiway from the crow that was by it we started to catch fish but the ice started to get thiner
[signature]
Ya, I try not to fish too close to the crows either.
[signature]
I agree crows are for the birds. Later J
[signature]
And I thought it was at Willard you watched for diving birds?
Sounds like I gotta get some waxies!
Sportsmans said they would get some waxies today, if the delivery guy could make it. As cold as last night was watch Hyrum today. I'm betting on ice. Might be long enough to have enough ice by the weekend. I haven't followed things very well this weekend, has anyone reported on Newton? It's got to be frozen by now, are the perch biting? Later J
[signature]
We better hit Newton soon before the whole thing freezes solid.
[signature]
Yup the oxygen is starting to decrease already we better go get some fish before they start dieing. This is one year I may keep what I catch out there. Let us know what you find if you make it out there. Later J
[signature]