Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry ice
does anyone know if there is ice on the berry.

any info would be great

keep smiling

ironworker [cool]
[signature]
Howdy Ironworker![Wink] Welcome aboard... Haven't been to strawberry lately but many of the folks on this board are saying anyday now it should be safe, if it isn't already. I'm sure some of these people around here can help you out with specifics. Once again, glad to have you join the BFT family.
[signature]
Highly doubt it. Very rarely does it freeze before Christmas.
[signature]
Nice to have you here ironworker.

HFT was up there just a bit ago, and did walk on some ice....but he said it really wasn't safe. More than likely, Christmas or shortly after will be golden. Good luck when you head out.
[signature]
I was up at Strawberry last Saturday and fished the Soldier Creek side from the shore. The part of the lake you can see from Hwy 40 was frozen for several hundred yards but I didn't check the thickness. There were a few spots near the shore that had ice forming but it was less than 1" thick. Safe ice is still a ways off.

I C&R several fat cutthroat and missed several that hit my tube jig. Some of the fish I hooked were within 10' of shore and others were 50' out. Fun fishing if you dressed warm enough.
Welcome to the site ironworker! haven't been up to the berry yet but as you can see somebody on this site will know whats going on. GREAT SITE![cool]
[signature]
Welcome aboard Todd!
[signature]
I have been able to fish the berry the middle of December for the last few years. A friend drove past last weekend and said he saw someone out on the ice fishing at soldier creek in the bay nearest the highway. I would expect that mud creek is safe by now. I heard it had a few inches on it two weeks ago. The whole lake does not need to be frozen to be fishable. We have fished some years when the middle is open but there is over 4 inches in some of the bays. Seems like Soldier Creek is the last area to freeze up.
[signature]
Thanks for the heads up kj.
[signature]