Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Strawberry primer
Two of us hit Strawberry today. What a perfect day! No wind, upper 40's and decent ice. We fished in the marina area and had the place to ourselves. That will change soon. The fishing was very good. We landed 54 fish and had lots of swings & misses.

The fish were mostly cutties in the slot range with one over. Some nice bows too. The fish we're not particular on type of jig or color but very particular on the bait we tipped with. This is the first time I've experienced such a strong preference for shrimp. Out of all the fish we caught, only one was on a crawler tipped jig and one on a waxie tipped jig. Everything else was on a jig tipped with a small piece of cocktail shrimp. Lots of playing around to see if it was circumstance or actually a factor. No doubt the shrimp were the ticket. I used a setup with an inline hook. If the hook had shrimp and the jig below a crawler, the hook produced. If the jig had shrimp and the hook a crawler or waxie, the jig produced. Fascinating. Maybe that will help those that fish there in the next few days. We fished in 10-20' of water and the fish were most active around 12' regardless if it was deeper.

Ice conditions weren't bad in the shallow bays. 4-5" of good ice. Out towards open water things get sketchy. Lots of cracks with water and what appeared to be much thinner ice. Very busy ice today.

Good luck to those that go out this weekend. A couple pics attached to make this report more interesting.

Cheers!
[signature]
Looks like both are under the slot but pics don't do fish justice
[signature]
The first one was just barely over the other is just an average slot cutt. All cutts went back down the hole. We kept some bows for the smoker but everything else still swims. Some of the cutts were turbos others were more typical in their fight. Fun to chase the rod down and hook up.
[signature]
Was the shrimp raw or cooked? I have only used shrimp for cats.

Go get fishy!
[signature]
Cooked. The package of large cooked shrimp you can buy in any grocery store. It seems raw would be better but I have not tested that theory.
[signature]
Nice report slimeside. I haven't fished the berry for years, I live in Idaho now, but I like keep up on how its doing. I have been using shrimp for years on the ice and it has been the best producer for me. Is that a fly reel with fly line on it in your first picture?
[signature]
Sounds like the fish are still biting since I was there Monday. Glad y'all had a good time and went home with slimy hands.
[signature]
Keen eye wirehair. I've gravitated to single action reels for trout to avoid line twist and provide better drag control. Cabelas markets a fly reel that's surprisingly well made for <$30 and far superior to most of ice specific stuff out now. There are some interesting options emerging but for a lot more coin. The line is just a standard ice mono in a funky orange color.
[signature]
I believe we owe you some thanks. Your original post influenced us on going to Strawberry and fish the marina area. I think we may have fished the same spot you did. Thanks!
[signature]