Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walcott or American Falls?
Just throwing out the feelers - has anyone hit up American Falls Reservoir or Walcott this season? I've never ice fished either and have been thinking about taking my son out there tomorrow for a little hard deck action. I don't want anything risky - my son is only 4 - so if anyone has ice reports or safe locations PM me! If not, I'll post what I find tomorrow!
[signature]
Was at Walcott on Tuesday, ice 10 inches and really noisey. Fished off the boat ramp point and caught 3 twenty inch trout in 6 hrs. Really slow but really nice. Walcott is a river with flow under the ice, it's safe but scary. Good luck!
[signature]
I checked out walcott yesterday. Good ice out there and a few big trout being caught. Usually walcott has some good fish, not the most action packed fishery, but if you put your time in it will produce for you.
[signature]
Awww!! I fear for your rods just laying on the ice... Just waiting for that giant fish huh? Lost a rod or two like that
[signature]
Well I wussed out from hitting American Falls or Walcott and went to Gem Lake. Had a great time!
[signature]
Any recent reports trying to decide between Walcott or Oakley
[signature]
Nope, any hints?
[signature]
To tell you the truth I have only ice fished it one time and it was 2 years ago. But i do fish it a lot in the fall and summer. But its out of a boat and im not walking out to those spots way to many thin ice spots and pressure ridges to cross lol. I would concentrate off any of the points on the north shore chartreuse, pink or black would be my go to colors. You cant go wrong with a red sided shiner dangling off a jig. If they ever get the construction done and we get back on the south side I could put you in some fantastic spots.
Everyone i have talked to say Oakley is fishing slow but some nice fish being caught when you hook up. Most are concerned that something bad has happened at Oakley My self included as it has never fished this bad for me in the last 10 years as it did last ice season and this summer. [frown]
[signature]
Fished walcott for a couple hours on thursday. Iced a couple nice bows and lost a few too. If I were to pick amongst the two I would hit up walcott. Cleaned one fish and pulled out over 8 4-6" fish. Dont venture far out . I would stick to no more than 30-40 yards from the bank. Put some focus on the points and I do my best away from others. Jiggin is whats workin. I have some pics of a couple bows and what there eatin.
[signature]
Forgot to post the pics.
[signature]
Thanks BigB we will give it a try, Funny what those bows up there will eat. No i dont trust the ice up there all that much so i dont get out to far from shore. I would be interested in those pics if you want to pm them to me [Wink]
[signature]
Great pics those look like baby carp or bass
[signature]
Nice fish! I may have to hit Walcott at some point this winter! Thanks for the report!
[signature]
Beautiful fish. No wonder that one was so fat... those are some big minnows too!!

They look like baby carp and maybe some chubs to me.
[signature]
Nice fish! Bet a rapala minnow ice jig would kill!
[signature]
Ice was a foot thick and when you drill some holes sometimes get a small lake [Tongue] Fishing was slow first thing then after 11 it fell flat on its face fished shallow fished deep no luck we finally packed it in about 4 was the same for groups fishing on both sides of us. Jig heads in black gold and pink white as well as lime green tipped with worm or minnows seemed to work

[Image: lisawalcott-1130732_zpsf36f6f15.jpg]

[Image: kurtwalcott-1130734_zpscda166f4.jpg]
[signature]
We were out on the point, came home with 1. It was 22 in and had carp minnows in its belly. Slow day all over, friend to magic caught 3 small trout all day. Yesterday at cj we each caught over 100 perch, but not many keepers.
[signature]
Heft instead of numbers. One of those babies would feed a good sized family. Fat fish. Very nice!
[signature]
I kinda heard the same thing today about magic seems like lots of places are real slow. Going to have to make the trip to cj sometime sounds like a lot of fun. Those fish at walcott are going to start adding an inch every week with there eating Habits
[signature]
Very true and lots of fun to catch Smile
[signature]