Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the fish lake reports
It has to be frozen right? Where are the reports?
[signature]
Heard from the new Bowery owner ( who was there yesterday) that the lake capped but still very thin on the north end, some ice fishing is happening on the south end not sure on ice conditions..call the lodge number they try and keep things updated.
[signature]
was there today and ice was 5-8 inches on southwest side of lake fishing was pretty slow northeast side was maybe 2 inches
[signature]
Went the day after Xmas. Fishing was fast, estimated about 500 fish between 3 of us. I caught 40+ trout myself alone, but only 2 of them were not finless planters. We each took home a limit of perch, to help thin them out a bit. Ice was between 3-6" everywhere we tried, just had to find them, then it was pretty much non stop.
[signature]
was the whole lake capped?
[signature]
Not sure, I did not drive up to the north end. It was 2 degrees when we got there, so it should be soon if not already.
[signature]
The perch you caught look like the have some size to them, how long was the average perch?
[signature]
Most we caught were 6-8". Don't think we caught any over 10. Biggest was probably 9 1/2" with most kept around that 8" mark. Nothing monsterous, but made some good fish tacos, with a few more meals for the future.
[signature]
[quote Hookinup]was the whole lake capped?[/quote]

Not yet -- as of 12/30/2013.

Which explains why there are few reports from Fish Lake.

the majority of the lake is capped, but there are still open patches of water out in the center of the lake as well as the north end of the lake.

safe ice can be found on the southern quarter of the lake, as well as the extreme north end (the "neck" off of Pelican point). Everything else is too thin for anyone to be heading out on -- less than 2".

We need some cold weather, but there is no cold to be found for another week. Inversion = warm up on the mountain . 40 degree daytime temps is poor for ice-building.

anyone heading to Fish Lake in the next week should expect to be limited to fishing the southern end, or the extreme northern end.

As for fishing -- not much to tell really. Lots of fish available to be caught tipping jigs or spoons with perch, sucker, meal worms, or nightcrawlers. Fish anywhere from 25' to 80'. Clear ice is a ton of fun when fishing close to the weeds. Kids have a blast watching through the ice seeing numerous fish hitting their baits -- clear ice is also a good place to find zooplankton blooms, which many trout are keying on right now to feed. Lot's of fun. Be safe.

[Image: IMG_9240_zps4a040d5c.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8817_zpse6d5a0eb.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8759_zpsf42dbfa1.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8765_zpsf637c16d.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8839_zps2307389d.jpg]
[signature]
Nice mack! Any good splake?

I can't wait for Wednesday.
[signature]
Thanks for the post. Very helpful! Happy new year.
[signature]
Great report and some beautiful pictures you've got there! Looks like it was a lot of fun! I love fishing through clear ice. It's what go me hooked on ice fishing as a little kid and now look where it got me [laugh] Ha ha. That's a great mack! Did you take any measurements on it?
[signature]