Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing set up
At the risk of sounding stupid I have to ask this question. I keep hearing about people putting a Kastmaster or spinner above their jig a foot or so while ice fishing. How would you tie a Kastmaster on the line without it affecting the jig's action and without it tangling the line? Do you just tie the main eye on the lure or do you put the line through the top eye and the bottom one where the hook is? Do you take the hook off and just use it as an attractant?

Any advice to a newly addicted ice fisherman would be appreciated. And the more details the better.
[signature]
Defenitely a good question to ask. Most times you remove the hook from the kastmaster/sweedish pimple, and tie the line onto the split ring. However I happened to catch a musky through the ice on a kastmaster that I was too lazy to remove the hook!

I've never really had a problem with lure tangling. The lure is just there as an attractant.

Welcoma aboard and good luck when you head out.
[signature]
[Smile]Hi fishluvr- there's no such thing as a stupid question.[Wink] As TheBee has stated, you can either remove the hook or leave it on. I've seen it done both ways as well. Just tie your line to the top split ring, a leader to the bottom ring of the cast master with a foot or two or three (personal preference)feet of leader with your jig at the end. If you are fishing deep water you'll want to control how fast you let out the line. If you let it out too fast, the kastmaster will sink faster and might cause a tangle. Good luck to you. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Here is a great set of GENERAL ICE FISHING TIPS

[url "http://www.lindylittlejoe.com/fishingtips/systemgeneral.htm"]http://www.lindylittlejoe.com/fishingtips/systemgeneral.htm[/url]

Good Luck and ice fishing is usually the most basic fishing.

In fact, I fish with just my hands and a spool of line and a float - no rod or reel and have landed some very big fish - trout to 4 lbs. at Strawberry. And yes I do have a hook on there somewhere....
[signature]
I started out putting my swedish pimples or kastmasters about 1 -1 1/2 feet obove my jig but last year I read in a book to put it 2 1/2 - 4 inches thinking that was a little close I tried 6 inches and last year was the best Ice fishin year I've had so far my book also says that with it that close to your jig it helps keep the line from tangling as for if you leave the hook on or not I leave the hook on and tie both ends of line to the eye of the lure, and I have caught fish on both the lure and the jig and once I caught two perch at once at pineview that way on the other hand my dad doesn't keep the hook on his lure and he usually does just as good as me so you'll have to play around and see what works best for you. Hope This Helps
[signature]
Thats a good link to along with that sense of humor Craig
[signature]
Hey Craig, we could start a collection on here and I bet we could round up enough money to buy you an ice fishing rod!
[signature]
I already have two rods but find that fishing with just a bobber and a hand-line I can catch just as many fish. I just attached the clip weight to my jig and send it to the bottom, hook on the bobber and set it just below the water surface - pull the jig and remove the clip-on weight and put the jig back down - Now I KNOW I'm fishing 3" to 4" off the bottom and I'm ready for BOBBER DOWN.... This way I can use my hand and bounced the bobber to give the jig great action...

Poles are for my kids and newbees - even though with a bobber stop you get the same accurracy and you get to use your pole - but fighting a big one with your hands is My Kinda Fun - gets your blood flowing to fight off the cold.
[signature]
Sounds like a fun method to try one of these days. Do you mark your line, so you know where to attach the bobber back on? Ever have the spool of line fall out of your hand?
[signature]
I'll have to go ice fishing with you and we can trade tactics. I'm just the guy with the lawn chair, ice auger, bucket, & sled. Oh - don't forget the SCOOP.

Hey Kent - did you see they just are posting the NEW AmbasSaduer C5 reel on the cabelas site. Looks pretty handsome....
[signature]
Sounds like a deal, but one of my creature comforts for ice fishing is my two-man ice shack. I also have to drop down my AquVu to try to scare the fish. They have a new camera on a special ice-fishing model that resembles a fish, and is supposed to attract them to it. It would be quite the site to be looking at the monitor and see a fish swallow the camera! No, I haven't seen the new reels, but I better not look, I already have more reels than one person should own in a life time!
[signature]
I like to use needlefish because they are lighter and fall slower . Most of the time I leave the hook on it and tie the dropper line right on the bend of the hook from the needlefish .
[signature]