Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muzzle Break & Trigger install
I need some gunsmith work done and was wondering who you would recommend. Specifically, installing a trigger and muzzle break. Thanks for any & all suggestions.
[signature]
What rifle?
[signature]
Rem. Sendero 7mm. I have the new trigger (Shilen) ready to be installed and set.
[signature]
The Gun Vault in S. Jordan has been doing quite a bit of precision rifle work, new store and I don't know about the break through them. Depends where you live. I believe Terry at Impact in Ogden would be able to throw the trigger in blindfolded as well. Barlows in West Valley is another option which could probably do both for you. The Gun Vault's machines aren't installed yet and I'm not sure if Barlow will turn the barrels himself or send it out. I would bet both can get it done however, just don't know how long it will take any of them.
[signature]
What about Roger? He did my daughter's 7mm-08, my 300 win mag and my buddies ultra mag.
[signature]
There's nothing wrong with his breaks. I have one on my .338 and love it. I'm just looking for one that's doesn't flare out and looks more like part of the barrel.
[signature]
I've got a "roger brake" on a rem 700 that fits the contour of the barrel almost perfect, and was blued to match. BUT, I have seen brakes done by Rodger where he hasn't contoured. Not sure why the difference in the finished product from one gun to the next?
[signature]
Who is this "Roger" that you guys are talking about, and where is he located?

I have a new .338 that may need a brake. I have never shot it yet, so that remains to be seen.
Is there any way to get a brake installed that doesn't increase the volume? That is one big hang up for me, is the increase in noise. My buddy has a brake on his .300 Weatherby, and you can hear that gun for miles.
[signature]
Rodgers rifle shop is in west valley off 4100 s. And about 6200 w. He's a good gunsmith, and if you've got the coin, he builds really nice custom rifles. I always take my factory rigs to him for trigger tuning, and brakes. I attached a pic of the brake he put on my rem Sps in 270 wsm. Will dig up his # if you are interested.
[signature]
Using this type of brake, I don't know of one that will reduce the muzzle blast. the gasses and noise are ejected out the ports in the sides, therefore increasing muzzle blast. His brake will tame recoil on that .338 significantly. There's definitely a trade off there.

For instance, My dad's friend had him install a brake on a .338 rum, it kicks like a .270 now. Night and day difference, but don't forget the ear plugs!
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. I'm not quite ready to hit the gun shop just yet, but I will keep them in mind. I still want to go shoot the gun first and see what it's like before I modify anything.
I hate wearing ear plugs when hunting, so I'm trying to avoid the brake, but if I can't shoot the gun as is, then I'll have to get the brake.
[signature]
Look up Lynn Yaunt in Davis County. I have his card if you are interested.
[signature]
Do you have any photos of his break(s) that you could share with us? I would greatly appreciate it.
[signature]
You may want to consider having the barrel threaded for a screw on break. You could then incorporate a silencer in the future or just have a variety of breaks or flash hiders to screw on in the future.
[signature]
Good idea. That's kinda what I was thinking. Leave my options open for the future. [Smile]
[signature]