Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Years day on Mantua
Met up with Lavaman about the crack of dawn, though he had had a much earlier start. Plopped some holes, and saw a lot of calm and quiet on the finder. We moved around some. Still nada, tried closer to shore, shallower, still a desert. Had some arcs and shadows move through, but nary a nibble.
[inline "Neighbor in the City.jpg"]

He decided to go wide, go deep, then a text - he'd caught a fat perch and gill. So westward I went. Plunked down, and managed to nab a couple nibbles myself. Finicky little buggers, but hooked up a few fat perch, and some decent and dink Bluegills.

[inline Phattie.jpg]

[inline "Bit of Flair.jpg"]

Saw lots more activity on the finder than bites on the bobber. But all said - nice day out, great weather, good company, and some fish-tugs. I think I'm due for a fish-fry!

[inline Selfie1.jpg]

[inline "Pile of Chunks.jpg"]
Nice report. I have always liked Lava...great company for sure.
[signature]
Thanks Joni!

One of these days we'll actually get to fish together Smile

Caught my biggest ever Perch-Zilla today...fat and over 10" Also caught a rather large Bluegill (9"). Not bad, but the slowest day I've had this winter.

Still fun to get out...even with half of Cache Valley showing up. Should have known better than to go out on a Holiday Smile That pond sure ain't what it used to be.
[signature]
Nice size perch! That's a lot of people in the first pic.
[signature]
My dad and brother went out in on New Years too in hopes of a repeat of Saturday. They said it was very tough for them too. They were in the same spot as Sat but their catch went from 60 in 3 hours to 15 in 6 hours.
Mantua can be a very fickle place sometimes.

I sure wish they would put sterile pike in there. Sure would make things more interesting.
[signature]