Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvy New Year 1-1-14
[#0000ff]Hadn't been on the ice during December. So I jumped at the invite from Pikeman to join him and his son Ben (Da Bomb) for a New Year's jaunt to Starvation.

Couldn't believe temps of 32 at Parley's Summit, 35 at Park City and at Heber City...and still just under 30 as we pulled up to the ice. I was almost expecting to see palm trees waving in the breeze. No palm trees, but the sagebrush was rockin' and rollin' in the early morning breezes. I hate wind...both for ice fishing and float tubing.

Glad the ice was thick...about 10 inches of good clear ice...with only small patches of thin snow cover. All three of us rode out on one wheeler, towing a couple of sleds behind. I hate it when I have to go swimming in ice water.

We set up in a spot where Glen and Ben had scored a walleye and several perch a few days before. Depth between 42 and 44 feet...with a shallow hump a few feet to the south of our ice camp. Young Ben took pity on a poor old dude (me) and punched a couple of quick holes for me with Pikeman's new Ion auger. Man, that lightweight lithium battery 40 volt auger really eats the ice. Turned out that I never had to drill any holes with my Strikemaster electric. Stayed at the same two holes all day.

It wasn't that fishing was all that great. We saw occasional perchy-looking suspects show up off the bottom, on our sonars. But none of us ever put a perch on the ice. The only action was for the everlovin' Starvation steelies. Most were new recruits...healthy fat 13 and 14 inchers from the fall planting. They were all full of green invertebrates. Feeding well and getting nice pink flesh.

I got the troutfest started early, after noticing fishy blips showing up often between 12 and 15 feet. Reeled one of my rods up to that zone and got the first couple of juniors. Lost a much bigger one at the hole. Then Pikeman and Da Bomb swallowed their perchy pride and got in on the action. We all kept one rod down in the bottom part of the water column but opted for SOME action (slimers) rather than smelling skunk. Later in the day we caught several trout near the bottom after they quit cruising shallow.

On a couple of slowdown periods I took my Showdown and a jug of warm water and went out "ice shooting"...stopping periodically to shoot down through the hard clear ice to check both for depth and the presence of fishkind. I covered a lot of ground/water/ice and made a lot of test shots, but never saw anything to suggest that we might do better if we moved. So we stayed. Da Bomb did fire up the wheeler and moved off a distance to try a deeper spot where he had seen fish on their last trip. But he didn't stay long and came back to the ice camp.

Pikeman maintained telephone contact with a couple of other groups on the ice...in different parts of the lake...and they weren't doing any better. Moving around a lot but scoring nothing but a few trout.

We had gone to a less well known area at the far north end of the lake...near Saleratus Wash. It has been good for us the last two years...with good numbers of all species...and a lot less "company". But it didn't seem to want to produce much for us yesterday. Maybe the fish were all nursing hangovers from partying too much on New Years.

Thanks Glen and Ben...for the invite. Always good to share the ice with you guys. It has been about 5 years since I last fished with Ben...when he was just a teenager. He has grown into a fine young man. Still the best fisherman in our group...catching probably the most and the biggest.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well Pat, it seems the great Starvation Perch Search was less than successful. We drilled many holes, moved many times and at the end of the day between 5 of us iced one 9in.perch and 1, 12 in. chub. Mike and his boy stayed at the campground and are fishing as we speak, maybe they will connect today. I hope so. I know there are some perch in there but you are right, they were nursing hangovers.
[signature]
Not a bad way to spend the morning after....New Years Eve anyway. Glad you found some of the chunky rainbows but darn...No Perch? No Walleye.... Perch searchin has been rough this year.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Location, location, location. Ever heard that before?

I just got a call from Pikeman...who got a call from the "crew". Seems they found a spot with plenty of perch and walleye...including a 27 incher. I'm sure you will be in the loop of communications to get further details.

Pikeman and I are hatching a plan for a return match. But it will probably be that other famous saying: "You shoulda been here yesterday/last week"
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, there was a reported perch dieoff early this year...after iceout. The small perch almost disappeared, after being so numerous and pesky the previous two years. There are still quite a few larger fish around but they are not as numerous as most of us like to remember.

I act like I am disappointed with only trout but I am still a fisherman. And as a kid from Idaho I developed an early and lasting love for troutkind. I really don't need an excuse to fish for them.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
After a rotten New Years start at Strawberry, only catching (and releasing) 3 rainbows, 10 to 14" we headed over to Starvation at 1:30 p.m. to try for it's rainbow. After about 1.5 hours of worthless effort we headed out to the deeper 52 foot waters to see what was happening out there. The sonar was blank but after about 5 minutes or so of banging and rattling a Rattlin Rapala off the bottom my son hooked up on what we thought was a small walleye. To our "disappointment" and amazement he had caught a 12" perch. It was no fluke, he ended up with ony 6 perch but they were all at least 10" long. He also had a nice walleye on but lost it just below the hole. I caught 8 decent perch from 8" to 10" using more typical perch lures. We had perch under us for most of the time from 3:00 to 4:30 but they just weren't the easiest to coax into biting. One guy in the group could see the perch on his flasher but couldn't hook them and was very frustrated. We wished we had started out there earlier. We were south of the bridge, from there you'll have to search on your own. Oh and ice was clear 10.5".
[signature]
Nice report Pat. Glad to see you thinning out the slime rockets. Sure you will find the perch this spring...
[signature]
[#0000FF]We agreed that we might have done better by targeting deeper water. In years past some of our better early perchin' spots have been over 60 feet deep. Gotta find 'em to catch 'em...but finding is no guarantee they will bite.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of the soft water issues have continued on to hard water as well. Glad to see you got out. I am still sitting on my keaster right now. Haven't been able to get past a bloomin cold this year.
[signature]
NOT TRUE! The walleye in question was estimated at 28-29 inches and about 5.5 to 6 lbs.. The group caught about 30 decent perch and two walleye. We were fishing north of the bridge, east of Hanna, west of Indian Bay and south of Knight Hollow. The water where the fish were found this morning was between 58 and 64 feet deep.
Remember, if it was easy, it wouldn't be fun.
My brother Peter caught the big Eye. Proving once again that even a blind hog can sometimes find a mushroom.
Mike
[signature]
[#0000FF]Glad you finally found a few. But that totally debunks your earlier claim that there were only 9 perch and that you had already caught half of them. Fishermen lie...or at least tell truths that are unique only unto themselves. Now I suppose all the perch have been caught out and there is definitely no reason for me to go back and fish optimistically for anything but trout.

Was Peter disappointed that his big fish was a walleye and not a trout?

Thanks for pinpointing your hot spot. You know you have just told everybody in the world exactly where to go so that there is no chance of ever having a chance of fishing in solitude...ever again.

HOTSPOTTER.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
We too were on the ice New Year's day at Starvation with about the same luck. We also know where the perch are not. We fished north of the bridge around near the rock ledges that run between the bridge and Rabbit Gulch and brought home a few nice rainbows. I did find something that I did not expect. We came across a warm spring that left about a 5' open water in the ice. I have marked that spot in my memory so as to not step there when snow has blanketed the ice. See the first photo.
[signature]
Thanks for letting everyone know about the hazard. I've seen evidence there are some spots where there is almost a constant "stream" of methane gas bubbles rising to the surface. It's possible the gas bubbles are moving the water enough to keep that spot open. The bubble activity is the most obvious in the area south of the US Highway 40 bridge. The hole you found is big enough to swallow an ATV and rider.

Mike
[signature]
brookie tell us little more where that hole is [shocked]
[signature]
me and da bomb wanted to give you a big thanks for coming with us it is always good to rub shoulders with good people. thanks again
[signature]
Hard to describe exactly. North of the west end of the bridge to the rocks - east just around the corner. See the map hope it is big enough.
[signature]
Glen,
Brookie's second photo shows the location of the open water hole. If you look closely you can see the hole and it's location relative to the bridge. It would be good for all of us to make note of the location. Very important if it skims over and we get more snow.

Mike
[signature]