Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead 01-01-2014
Broke in the new year correctly this year! FISHING [fishin]

I invited 07yzryder to go with us and he met me us at the Boulder ramp at sunrise. Shad weren't too bad to find/catch. At least for someone that doesn't chase the Shad too often nor fish on this end of the lake. Size was another issue. Only a small quantity of the "correct" sized ones everytime we went back to catch more. The little ones still got the job done but the "correct" sized ones seemed to reward one with a quicker bite.

The bite started semi slow as we moved around slowly trying to pin point them. We started in the wash and moved out from there. All the way to the far side of sand island checking here and there. Eventually back to the wash and the action picked up from there. (Should of never left the wash as early as I did... The grass is always greener on the other side of the road syndrome hit me.) We both had 3-4 each and Madi was still trying to wake up. Zero bites for her on the bow up to now... Then after she had a salted nut roll and a couple bags of chips I don't know what really happened... lol We could not get a bite and she was hooking them left and right. One after another. Just not right. lol Same hook, leader and sinker as both of us. WTH. I bet she had 7+ straight there at one point before we got another. Combined she didn't beat the boys but individually she slaughtered both of us. Kept 33 and turned loose the only real "dink" we caught all day. Gooood sized fish! Way better than the average I see up in the other end of the lake.

Robert grabbed what he wanted which left me with more than I ever take home. I selected the 14 smallest ones for the smoker and split the rest in two bags. One for fresh tacos last night and the other headed to the freezer for a windy weekend fish dinner.

Was a good day. Fish in the smoker right now and I am trying to get the energy to head to the garage to clean up the boat and get it ready for the next outing.

Madi up on the bow with another one.

[Image: LakeMead_01-01-14_001.jpg]

The livewell near the end of the trip...

[Image: LakeMead_01-01-14_003.jpg]

What went into the smoker an hour ago. (I de-boned them after the picture.)

[Image: LakeMead_01-01-14_004.jpg]

A bag for dinner and one for the freezer.

[Image: LakeMead_01-01-14_006.jpg]

Smelling gooooood in the backyard right now!

[Image: LakeMead_01-01-14_010.jpg]
[signature]
Good job guys. Hope some of my tips helped out.
[signature]
Thanks for the ride! Was definitely a fun trip and amazing to watch the fish snoozing with madi. Stuff got real when she woke up few times she couldn't get her bait to the bottom and the rod is bent over again lol!

Also medium light setups made the fishing WAY more fun the the heavy stuff i use to troll umbrella rigs on the yak.
[signature]
[quote iamthesmf]Good job guys. Hope some of my tips helped out.[/quote]

Always. Keep 'em coming!
[signature]
It still isn't the same as it was 2 years ago when we first got the boat. When the water was higher and one could fill a bucket full of shad in 2 tosses of the net up in the river closer to the old Vegas marina. We were landing 60-80 Stripers before noon back then. And I wasn't fishing all that much. Too busy landing her fish and baiting hooks!

Still good times. Waaaay to much work to be chasing the LMB and SMB around this time of the year. Striper certainly fit the fishing itch during the winter months.
[signature]
Great job Sounds like a blast. So are you getting the shad where the wash dumps into the lake or other places? Are you getting threadfin shad or Gizzard shad or possibly a mixture of both. Also is the fishing good all day or just till noon? Thanks for the report...I am getting out my shad net and practicing in the back yard. Have not thrown it in a couple years
[signature]
Way to get em brother! Thanks for the report
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font] [size 3][quote striperdude]So are you getting the shad where the wash dumps into the lake or other places? Are you getting threadfin shad or Gizzard shad or possibly a mixture of both. Also is the fishing good all day or just till noon?[/quote]

Yes, essentially as far as one can go into the wash. Just don't go too far. The water is dirty and one can't see bottom. There was a fairly large fishing boat in there a couple weeks ago nearly high and dry due to going too far. I hate to even ponder how much mud he sucked through his engine wide open throttle and mud going everywhere trying to get out.

Threadfin so far only for me.

All day. Actually mid morning into the afternoon was better than sunrise time frame for a change. [/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[size 3]I still suck with tossing a net but get the job done. This is where a skiff would be nice. What a friggen mess up front from tossing that net. Windows, entire bow area, carpet, etc. All covered in debris and soaked. Plus I can only toss to one direction (over theTM to the port side). Too scared to toss the other way and take a chance of hitting a windshield with the lead weights. Spent plenty of time yesterday vacuuming out the boat and getting it all cleaned up again.[/size]
[signature]