Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eskimo Mako starting issues
Got a Eskimo Mako brand new out of box and the thing is a bugger to start. I can get it started but it takes major coaxing. Yes I prime it and choke it and pull it. Fresh gas with mixture. Would you take it back or make adjustments?

I just sold a 7-8 year old Eskimo Stingray and that thing would start first pull every time without fail. Starting to wish I had it back but the bigger motor is nice.
[signature]
Had the same problem here bud. What I do now and it works like a champ is this: as long as there is gas in the prime bulb don't prime it anymore. Next put on full choke and pull it two times. With the choke still on give it full throttle and pull. Mine will start with about 3 pulls by doing this. If it dies before you can get the choke off, turn choke off and give her full throttle again and she should be raring to go. Hope this helps!
[signature]
Had the same problem with mine when it was new and the problem was the idle was set too low. Also, better to prime too little than too much.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice I believe your right. I found by holding the throttle down it helped start easier. I wil try and tighten it up.l
[signature]
[quote crappie_rangler]

Had the same problem here bud. What I do now and it works like a champ is this: as long as there is gas in the prime bulb don't prime it anymore. Next put on full choke and pull it two times. With the choke still on give it full throttle and pull. Mine will start with about 3 pulls by doing this. If it dies before you can get the choke off, turn choke off and give her full throttle again and she should be raring to go. Hope this helps!

[/quote]

I've had to resort to that a few times with mine (especially if I get if flooded); however, it is dangerous to start it that way because it can start in full throttle.
[signature]
Thought I'd share the advice. I emailed Eskimo and asked if there was something I could try and adjust before taking it back to sportsmans and they said take it into our shop in Kaysville and we will fix it for free. Once they found out that i was an hour away they paid a local repair shop guy to look at it. It was the 'needle wall' was stuck so they repaired it for free. Dunno how far back they go on warranties but may be worth checking into? They were really good to me and now the auger starts first pull just like the Eskimo I had the last time
[signature]
I have a six year old Strikemaster auger and it can be a little hard to start after sitting for several days. I found that a shot of starting fluid works wonders.
I give it a squirt, set the choke to full and hold the throttle down all the way. It usually starts right away.
Of course with the throttle wide open the thing might want to start drilling before you're ready so hold on tight or if you have someone with you, have them hold on as well.

Mike
[signature]
Glad you got fixed up. Since I live in Kaysville and have an Eskimo auger where is their shop? I've had mine two years and no problems but it would be nice to know where that place is for any future questions.

Thanks
[signature]
Did they say where in kaysville there shop was? Mine leaks gas somewhere runs great though!
[signature]
[url "mailto:info@geteskimo.com"]mailto:info@geteskimo.com[/url] email them here this is the email i used. It took a day or two to here back from them but they were really good on the phone once they called back. Used it today at strawberry. First pull every time.
[signature]
I bet yours is leeking from a over tightend nut that holds the tank. thats where mine was leeking.
[signature]
I had that leaking problem too, loosened the nuts just a little bit and no more leaking.
[signature]
my gas tank was cracked where the nuts are molded into the tank. I plastic welded it.
[signature]
[quote utwalleye] my gas tank was cracked where the nuts are molded into the tank. I plastic welded it.[/quote]

Ouch! [shocked]
[signature]
The auger is gonna act differently in cold and colder weather or different elevations. you shouldn't have to open the throttle to get it to start. sometimes after its hot a little throttle can help but as for initial start up you have air fuel issues my friend.
[signature]