Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Hero Yuba Ice
Jan 4, 2014
Arrived Yuba Reservoir 10:30AM. Blue skies 28 degrees. Ice 9 to 11' thick. 1" snow on ice.

Hand in Hand Outdoors hosted an American Heroes Ice Kickin' event near the dam. Participants were disabled and combat veterans from Vietnam to Afghanistan. Marines, Navy and Air Force were represented.

Fishing was relatively slow with 7 northerns through the ice. All were small, ranging from 18 to 25" Two fish were kept for the grill. All others were released in the hopes they will grow and propagate. The majority of fish were caught on dead sticked chub minnows on the bottom in 25 to 30' of water. Two fish were lost because of no steel leader and several others were lost due to striking before the pike had turned the bait in their mouths.

As always, when we gather, it was a very special occasion and an absolute delight to be surrounded by these valiant warriors who have given so much for our country and it also gave us a chance to check out the equipment in preparation to a trip to Strawberry on the 18th. It has been 3 decades since I have fished the ice but it was a great trip and thoroughly enjoyed by myself and the others.

We are now all looking forward to Strawberry where in addition to our veterans there will be several disabled kids also present. I had some concern the Paraplegic and quadriplegic kids might not to be able to tolerate the bitter cold, but the tents with heaters proved comfortable and more than adequate for their needs. Everyone should have a great time while enjoying the great outdoors. Steve [url "http://handinhandoutdoors.org"]http://handinhandoutdoors.org[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Thanks for all you do Steve. Words alone can't describe the feelings held for you and your crew by my disabled sisters and brothers.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thank you Bob for your kind words. In the beginning when built the boat to accommodate wheelchairs, we thought that this might be a way to thank those who have given so much for our country and to provide a way for those in wheelchairs to experience the wonders of the outdoors that they might otherwise not be able to.

It has evolved into much more than that. All those we serve have become our family. God blesses us by being around them. To see a kid in a wheelchair catch their first fish and the realization that we have opened a door to a life that will provide endless days of happiness and perhaps, buffer the feelings of being unable to participate, gives us happiness and gratification.

We can see the scars of our veterans who come aboard with lost limbs, but it is the unseen scars deep in their minds with unfathomable memories that keep them alone and isolated that we strive to help as well. We can never repay these men and women for what they have done, but we can hope that a day on the boat, a trout stream or on the ice with their brothers and sisters in combat will help, even if only in a small way.
That alone is our mission

To all of those on this forum who provide us help and support...Thank you and may God watch over you.
Steve [url "http://www.handinhandoutdoors.org"]www.handinhandoutdoors.org[/url]

[url "mailtoConfusedteve@handinhandoutdoors.org"]steve@handinhandoutdoors.org[/url]
Well done Steve. Glad you had a successful outing.
[signature]