Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to go??
have a scout campout this weekend, just don't know where to go with all the bad reports lately, half of the scouts want to go to the berry. but don't know where to go, any advice is welcome
[signature]
Try east canyon. Strawberry is good too. Also yuba.

I think with all the bad reports is cause most anglers go and do the same thing and same place every time. Conditions are a little different than. What it was at first ice up. Things remember are as follows: (coming from general observations and past practice)

1. The lakes have been hit heavy recently, go where others aren't. Couple reasons:
A. Quieter on the ice....not so many augers revving up, snowmobiles and atvs running around. Drill all holes first so that it quiets down.
B. the fish have seen most of the baits being used. Mix it up a little and see what happens, take meals worms, wax worms, and crawlers...
C. Remember clear ice the fish can still see your shadows, that's why ice tents do well. A layer of snow on the ice is good. Keeps you somewhat hidden too.

2. With more ice covering a lake the fish will spread out more. They are aren't bunched up like they were.

3. Be prepared to move around a bit

Hope this helps!!!
[signature]
I couldn't agree more...

A couple more thoughts:

1. Having been a Scouter for many years, boys are adventurous. If the fish aren't biting, send them on a hunt for the fish away from other anglers. Let them drill holes and use the electronics to find the fish.

2. Find some teaching moments if the fishing is slow. Sometimes we get so caught up in catching fish we forget about why we are scout leaders.

Good luck and be safe!
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!