Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Soft Hackle lovers on here?
Very nice patterns. What size(s) do you normally use?
Thanks.
[signature]
[quote Browntrout]

Very nice patterns. What size(s) do you normally use?
Thanks.

[/quote]

Thanks. I fish a size #14 almost 100% of the time through the summer when caddis are active. Even through the PMD/Yellow Sally hatch times a size #14 Partridge & Yellow will outfish smaller ties. Fish this fly in tandem with a #14 Diving Caddis tied on a heavy wire hook and you can have a lot of fun during "happy hour."

I'll fish the Baetis pattern early and late in the year when they're hatching... usually a #16 Mar-May and then again Oct-Nov. Sometimes a #18 in the fall and/or when midges are present (herl body patterns are good midge imitators).

IMO the classic soft hackle doesn't have the same movement in the hackle barbs once you start getting smaller (#18 and smaller). I think because the general vibe of the fly represents a vulnerable insect in transition you can get away with larger sizes. It's not really a match-the-hatch mentality with soft hackles.

Likewise with the larger sizes... #12 Partridge & Orange or Partridge & Green fish well during stonefly and Drake activity. Rarely I'll whip out the #10 Grouse & Orange on big rivers strictly as a search or "fish back to the car" pattern... but they start to look pretty fake in bigger sizes.

If I had to take one size to use at all rimes, it would be on a #14 hook - no question.
[signature]
Joe Dizzy,
Thank you very much for the added information. Very helpful. I started tying soft hackles last night.
[signature]