Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Info On Decreasing Duck Land
Howdy I am in need of some info for a documentary I am filming.
I am filming for a school project about the decrease in waterfowl habitat in utah and Im not sure where to start!
Id also love to get a few interviews with any of you fine partrons that ii could! Smile Thanks guys
Just shoot me a PM or post up if youd like to be interviewed or if you know of a nice article.
[signature]
You can start with the LDS churches plan to destroy a bunch of the wetlands in the south shore area. The now closed Bailey club etc...
[signature]
The #1 threat to waterfowl habitat statewide is without a doubt phragmite. That's where I'd start if I was you
[signature]
Thanks FNA! I will look into that
[signature]
Thanks fish or die!
[signature]
That's actually a pretty short sighted statement. Any area that is a considered a wetland by the feds cannot be destroyed. Even attempting to get lands with little/no wetlands on them out of the federal designation of wetlands is near impossible, especially with a democratic administration. So I doubt any one entity can destroy a marsh and ruin duck numbers in this state. Closing a duck club is not destroying marshlands, if anything it gives ducks another safe zone that we can't go play in.

Like was mentioned, Phrag has ruined more wetlands than you or I could care to even imagine! We are talking tens of thousands of acres of marsh that used to support waterfowl, and now cannot. This invasive weed should have been dealt with more aggressively when it was first introduced. Now it is a lost cause. An ounce of prevention at first would have prevented a million pounds of cure at this point in time. We will dump millions and millions of dollars into controlling a weed that really cannot be controlled at this point in time. Kind of like the feds dumping a ton of money into trying to rid Utah Lake of carp.
[signature]
They are planning on developing the area for low income housing. So I don't think it was short sighted. Like you said Phrag is a lost cause. Until there is another flood and the the marsh gets a salt water "cleanse" it's gone.
[signature]