Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera Life Preserver
On my pontoon, I've lost enough gear to buy a nice rod. Came across this little device on Amazon for $7. Purchased a couple and will use on my most valuable items.

After examining it, I think you could use pipe foam insulation in a similar manner (around the handle of a net or on a Leatherman) to keep from losing gear to Davey Jones Locker.

Anyway, something to do over the winter doldrums.

[inline Chums.JPG]
[signature]
I can definitely see the possiblilties with this little item.[cool]
[signature]
Have you tested it to see how much weight it will actually support? I have one but haven't had the guts to sink my camera yet. I'm assuming if it doesn't fully support my camera it will at least slow it's descent so I can grab it.

Jim
[signature]
Jim:

You can weigh the camera (kitchen scale), then use a 20 guage steel wire slab of scrap metal that weighs a little less than the camera weight. Slide lead fishing sinkers through the wire until the weight is slightly over the camera weight. Use this scrap bundle to test floatation device.

There may be an easier way- pea gravel in a bag, etc.

Pon

[quote Jim_T]Have you tested it to see how much weight it will actually support? I have one but haven't had the guts to sink my camera yet. I'm assuming if it doesn't fully support my camera it will at least slow it's descent so I can grab it.

Jim[/quote]
[signature]
My problem is more the camera not being waterproof! Lol. Only time i have dropped my camera, was on the river and I was attached.[crazy]
[signature]
The instructions make a big deal about using it only for small, waterproof cameras and testing with specific camera before using. I tested mine with a Pentax Optio W90 and GoPro in waterproof case, and it kept them afloat.

I'm going to experiment with closed-cell foam to come up with a float for my heavy Leatherman and I've already added some closed-cell pipe insulation to my net handle (didn't need much as it had a foam handle).

I like this particular item because of the wrist sling, and the yellow color makes it easy to find in my "possibles" bag.
[signature]
Helmet cams might work if your head doesn't go under water, but then you can't be in the picture.
My favorite way is with a collapsing coil cord tether and snap swivels, take less space and lower cost. Your gadget will get wet, though...

Pon
[signature]
My favorite budget "floatie" for when I'm on the water is to take a ~3" cut off of a brightly colored pool noodle you can get a the dollar store and simply put a shallow score all the way around the circumference at the middle. The. simply larks head knot the lanyard from whatever (net, camera, GPS, etc) in this groove. Super cheap and effective assuming your item is dunk proof.

_SHig
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]Helmet cams might work if your head doesn't go under water, but then you can't be in the picture.
My favorite way is with a collapsing coil cord tether and snap swivels, take less space and lower cost. Your gadget will get wet, though...

Pon[/quote]

Oh lordy, no head cam, they are the worse! I just mount mine to my boat[Smile]
[signature]