Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first time pike fishing
Im heading to yuba Monday for my first attempt at pike. How do you rig for those fish? Do you just put a treble through a dead minnow or use a glow jig like burbot fishing with sucker meat? What are some rigs used?
[signature]
pike are opportunistic, if you don't want to get very technical with it, a jig tipped with chub can catch them, and I'd also set out a minnow rod, just hook up a treb under the spine and hang it horizontal. I use quick strike rigs and hang them a bit differently but it's more technical the way I tie them.. I've definitely learned more productive techniques from reading about pike fishing and they've helped me ice a BUNCH... Read up, quite a lot of good ice fishing info out there on pike and then hit the local tackle shop when you've narrowed down some things you wanna try. I'd use steel leader on all your setups, it ain't worth losing a big fish, I consider all pike caught without steel leader LUCK that they didn't get a bite off. They can enhale a bait! and being quick on a hookset doesn't matter. it ain't worth it if your going after them to skimp on some steel leader. happy hunting!
[signature]