Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Textbook Bass Fishing
We been out fairly regular on Mead. Flat sunny conditions. Yesterday surface water temps in the sunny coves around 58°.

Really been hunt and peck with several one fish days...that's with crack of noon launch.

Found some smallies just where they are supposed to be yesterday. Schooled up a bit off steeper sun exposed walls on first secondary points in 25ft.
[signature]
Launched on 1/20 and out through the narrows to Southern exposures near Middle Point. One healthy smallmouth on a 1/2 oz. jig in maybe 15 to 20 ft off gently sloping point got in the boat. My friends may have missed a couple. It was a very gentle bite. She picked it up and started moving and I only felt the jig unweighted.
[signature]
I seem to have a hard time getting bit on 1/2oz jigs. They are a bit harder to fish, but I get bit way more on 1/4 and 3/8oz jigs. Add a bulky trailer (like a sweet beaver or a 4" chigger craw) to a 3/8oz jig and it really slows the fall.

You may find you get more bites when you size down on the weight.

The same goes for my drop shot fishing. I don't really like to go over a 1/4oz weight. The only time I go up to 3/8oz on my drop shot rig is when it is really windy. Seems the slower fall is the ticket to more bites, especially when the fishing is slow.

One killer jig technique I found is to use a 1/4oz finesse jig with a 4" senko threaded on as a trailer. Lights out!
[signature]
I alternate between 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs in these colder conditions. I am fishing from shoreline to down about 40 ft. One of my favorites is the Eakins jig in 3/8 oz. Blackjack jigs (locally made) in 3/8 and 1/2 oz. are good for me at Mead. I agree, a bulky trailer is important, but if I can't get bit on a large trailer or I feel them nipping on it, I'll downsize to a shorter smaller trailer. I haven't used pork so far in 2014.

I've got some hair jigs in1/4 oz but so far in December and January they are not producing like the heavier jigs.

Mostly what jig bite there is for me right now is single fish and I am wondering if I am picking up the one "roamer" fish who is up a little early on slightly less steep banks.

On 1/20 that bass moved off as if there were others around but when I came back to that spot in 30 minutes ...nothing. I'd like to get an understanding of this behavior.

I agree with your drop shot weight and seldom go over 1/4oz. Went to tungsten and find I loose less weights.

Thanks for reminding me about the senko rig.

Here's photo of the jig that did the deed on Monday. Don't know where I got it. Football head, slightly recessed eye; the light wire hook shank is longer than what I normally see. Monday, I tore the weed guard out and have to epoxy a new one in. Note hand tied skirt and copper wire wrap.
[signature]
Caught today around 5:40 PM on a 1/4 oz.drop shot rig in about 7 to 10 ft of water just outside some flooded brush. Only fish of the day though Julie thinks she got tapped over by a wall in deeper water. We moved 6 times today and managed to stay near Callville launch.

I'd say she goes about 2 1/2 lbs, and around 17"
[signature]
I was hoping by starting this thread that people will share their trip history and knowledge. Ideally forum members will be one fish way before many fishermen. I met 2 bass fishermen at the dock as we were going out they were coming in. Both blanked..
[signature]
Doing everything I can to hold off till March. The last two years we fished our tails off every weekend just to come in skunked. I didn't mind at the time. Still learning the boat and the lake back then. This year I concluded it is just that time of the year to spend my allowance on other things like stocking up on fishing stuff and messing with other hobbies. I just don't care for deeper water fishing tactics and going slow. Not me...
[signature]
I'm rite there with ya wolfs... I made it out to echo yesterday and fished hard all day for a big stinky skunk. I decided I'm not a go slow man either. I was suprised to see the water was only 50 degrees pretty much all day. It got to 51 in a few spots.
I spotted what seemed to be a few schools on my graph but couldn't get bit at all. I tried a jig , worm and deep crank baits but got nothin but at least it was gorgeous weather and it sure beat riding the couch while work is very slow.
Cmon spring time and warm water!!!
[signature]
3-4 degrees colder than what I noticed down south a couple weeks back.
[signature]
We have 56 to 57° and change surface water temps while on the trolling motor depending if we are in the sun or shade. When running on the big motor I see around 54 to 55° water temps. It's generally colder up near Middle Point Island and down by the dam.

Yesterday I did see one bass suspended just off the bottom about 20 ft in a cove, but all day the fish seemed neutral...or a least it felt like it. I threw rip baits most of the day - to learn them - or 1/4oz. drop shot and 7/16oz. jig a little bit ....on sloping banks

I saw that smallie Julie caught working bait near a hump and was able to motor past on the trolling motor so she pulled into it dragging her drop shot. She said she got " pecked" but thought she was hung up. In fact she called for me to circle the Skeeter for a recovery before the fish started moving and then jumped.

A Bassmaster link about smallmouth and prespawn behavior: http://www.bassmaster.com/tips/spawn-time-smallmouth. Very much like on part of this article I spent most of the time in or near deeper water off know spawning locations.

I could wish for some more current. I see the lake level rising slightly but not much current unless there is wind. I am cautious on Mead about fishing in steady winds past 10mph given our current temperatures.
[signature]
Haven't been bass fishing much lately. Hell, haven't been fishing much at all. Family schedule is just too busy.

I did make it out with Sil240sxrw (James) yesterday. We went to Willow and covered a bunch of water for nothing. We were the only boat on the water, save for a couple canoes we saw up-river. Pretty tough day.
[signature]