Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead 01-18-2014
The smelly fishing trip...

PURE SKUNK

Haven't done that in a while. Shad, what shad... I tossed the net for over an hour along with the rest of the armada of boats and caught one baby shad. I asked around and that was just about the same for everyone.

Gave up on that and went looking for LMB/SMB. Zero luck there. Went back to the wash and tried trolling for Stripers. Really there wasn't any there. One popped up on the sonar every now and then but in general not shiot.

Only thing exciting to see on the sonar every now and then was a bait ball of Gizzards. About it.

[Image: LakeMead_01-18-14_001.jpg]
[signature]
We did get a chance to mess around with the boat binoculars and check out 3 Bald Eagels and one coyote. So the day wasn't totally wasted.

Well... The cast net did grab onto my Kershaw knife on a cast and tossed it overboard so maybe the day was a pinch on the spendy side...
[signature]
wow man if the shad have already gone deep that sucks.
Iwas out last week and they were in the middle of the wash in the stronger flow. I was following the fishin birds and waiting for them to chase em to the surface and did pretty good netting them. But ive still been having trouble finding the schools of striper.
If the weather keeps up the way its been it shouldn't be long before its warm enough for the bass to get active.
I hope!!! What do you think is the water temp we need for that to happen??? bout 65-67 or so?????
[signature]
I was all over the wash. Watched everyone else too. Didn't see squat happening Shad wise. Spent a lot of time just motoring around back there watching the side imaging for bait balls and lots of visual watching. Just didn't see anything. No little ripples on the smooth surface like one normally sees when a big bunch is around. Just gone...

3 weeks ago I was filling a bucket full in no time plus the Stripers were all over the wash. There just wasn't crap on the sonar and I covered a ton of area back there.

Last year the first time we got on bed fish big time was our March 29th trip. I didn't take any screen snapshots so don't remember the temp.

The year before was my April 21st trip. Same dealio on temps.

Of course they were out and about before those trips on the beds. Just when I got a chance to make it out there and did extremely well bed fishing.

I think if the temps continue to rise and no cold snaps hit once the lake passes the 60s or so they will be moving up and prepping.

Right now... If the weather continues I bet early March it will be on!

I think this was my last "Striper" trip till the end of the year. Next time back to the normal places and chasing the brown and green fish.

Glad I still have at least one bag of Stripers in the freezer plus a bag of smoked ones [Wink]
[signature]