Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashton reservoir report
Went to Ashton this morning. It was the first time I had been there in about 3 years. The ice was good 10 inches. It is such a steep res. that I started off too deep. We found the fish to be cruising just off the bank in 10 feet of water. White paddle bugs and small ice flies tipped with mealworms as per usual. Most of the time they wanted it jiggled. We landed 16 most of them were 12-13" with a couple bigger and a couple smaller. We left around noon. I was hopeing for a brown but didn't see any on the camera.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks, WR. I've been wondering if Ashton was back after the construction. Can you still walk across the dam?
[signature]
I don't think you can cross dam but there is easy access right now just cross ohra bridge and take a right to the access area near the dam.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report always wanted to fish that and like you i would love to catch some browns threw the ice
[signature]
Does anyone know if the res can be accessed from the boat launch just below the hwy 26 bridge?
[signature]
One of my buddies fell through there a couple times. Did you have any problems with thin ice? After talking to him, I would definitely be careful there! I'm glad you had a fun (and safe!) trip though.
[signature]
I was surprised the ice was so stable. I have seen it on dangerous days in the past.
Windriver
[signature]
Fished Ashton Res Saturday for a few hours and then again today for 4 hours. Since this was my first time there I didn't quite know where to go or what to expect. Ice is a good 18 inches. I did fish very close to the shore both days, our spot today was quite a bit better than saturday and we brought home 2 limits of 14 to 16 inch rainbows. Saturday was fairly slow, only iced 8 I think and not really much size to them, biggest at 14 inches. Everything was caught on pink and white, but mostly pink. Lots of groups out saturday with many people fishing right up close to the dam. I parked on the access road just past the dam that takes you right down to the lake. Today we fished very close to the bank again, and that's where we caught everything. I put a couple lines out deeper but they didn't yield anything. I guess that brings up a question; when you are fishing a really deep area, 40+ feet, do you tend to catch anything coming off the bottom, or are the fish generally up in the water column farther? I'm talking trout, not perch or anything. I generally had these two deeper lines down maybe 2 feet off the bottom. Anyway, the sun was nice, it was a nice day to fish for a few hours.
[signature]
I can't speak for Ashton, as I've never been there, but everywhere I've been when I fished deeper water, I get my rainbows, cuts, brookies, squaws, and such in about 25 feet or less, no matter how deep the water is.

Lakers are usually deeper than that. I'd think browns might be too, but I don't know about those for sure.
Good to know, thank you.
[signature]