Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My sons first ice trip
I finally was able to get my son out on the ice. He has been asking for a while now and we could never get our schedules to line up until today. So we hit Yuba Reservoir in Utah. He ended up catching his very first pike there today. [cool] He iced one and I was able to ice two. Great day!!!

[inline DSCN1914-400.jpg]

[inline DSCN1913-400.jpg]

[inline DSCN1915-400.jpg]
[signature]
Awesome! I will be going there in a couple of weeks. Getting excited.

Aaron [fishin]
[signature]
You'll love it. The strike is lighter than what it would be in warmer weather but the fight is not.
[signature]
Nice going Kevin, looks like you guys did much better than we did last Friday. Did you park at Oasis or Painted Rock? Did you keep any?
[signature]
We went to painted rocks. The 27" one went home with born fishin
[signature]
My son wanted to do the report on the utah board. So I figured why not.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=861158;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=861158;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]

Then I did this one here. I can't wait until softwater so I can go explore that lake a little more.
[signature]
The reason I ask was, I wondered how you cooked it. We just ate the one we caught and although it tasted ok, there were lots of bones. By the way, how far did you have to walk once you hit the ice?
[signature]
We only walked 5 minutes from the ramp. My nephew said he was thinking of broiling it. When you fillet it there is a way to remove the y bones. I got a video somewhere on it done by a chef.
[signature]
I have several recipes for pike I can scan for you if you like.
[signature]
Wow, only a 5min walk, not bad, were you fishing by the island? How deep was the water you were in? I guess in 5min there was no way you walked to the other side[:/]. Yea, that is what I figure, Y bones, I have seen the video and now that the fish is gone I'm not too concerned about cooking another one. I think there are a lot better fish to eat than pike but thanks for the offers.
[signature]
No we went south by the cliffs south of the beach. Also where I caught the 19 incher and had the break off in august
[signature]