Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder/Flasher Help
I would like to purchase a fish finder/flasher but have never used one and would appreciate any input on what is a reasonable "finder" for a reasonable price.

Thank you in advance!
[signature]
Where do you plan on using it? In a boat, on tube/toon, or on ice or both?
[signature]
Almost all use would be on the ice.
[signature]
Santa just got me a lowrance ice machine 4x which is a decent color fish finder with a flasher setting in a waterproof ice case. From the little I've used it, it's awesome on the ice and I'll be able to pull the unit out of the case and dock it on my boat in the summer! If you're not sold on a one-season-only flasher take a look at the ice machines!
[signature]
marcum.com has their original model Showdown Troller on discounted sale right now for well under $200. You can have it upgraded to the latest Model 2 for an extra $50.

I just bought the original one, and it is an amazing machine. I wanted it only to show me depth and suspended fish, but it really does do a LOT more. I plan to have it upgraded during the summer.
[signature]
I also have a similar unit (Lowrance X67c Ice Machine). I got it last year. I absolutely love it and can't imagine ice fishing without it. I used it from flaming gorge to fish lake in the summer and winter. I had never used any flasher/finder before and it was easy to learn and it does have flasher mode you can use. (not the best but works) You can find it online for around 200 bucks. Here is a short video of it, a little old so the case and look is updated but display is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gbhC65x5TE
[signature]
I've actually found I like watching the graph better than the flasher circle! I turned my ping rate up and I think it's just as instantaneous as an flasher display except I get to see a history of what I did and how the fish reacted, pretty neat!

I don't know what the X67 bag was like, but this one rocks! it has two small tackle trays and enough pockets that it's become my ice tackle bag as well!

Well done lowrance, well done.
[signature]
Yeah the bag does rock! It is the same bag as the 4x the only difference is the interface. I agree the graph mode is better, for what I fish for. I also bought a second battery when we did the burbot bash last year and i essentially ran my finder for 2 straight days and had battery to spare.
[signature]
I have a graph type and flasher. For ice fishing, the flasher wins hands down. I have the Marcum LX3 (actually I have 4 of them!). I bought one new, the other 3 used over the past 6 years (I have lots of kids that like to come and fish, it helps spread the finders around). I have the regular LX3 and the LX3tc (adds green color). I personally only care if it shows me the lure and the fish (yellow and red, the orange generally doesn't show up), the middle size (orange or green) doesn't really matter to me. Now is a bad time to buy one, they go for top dollar. I watch ebay year around and have bought my used finders for $185-$225 each around June-Aug.! All have worked well and I have no complaints. What I like about the finder is that it is "real time", without delay. I like that when a fish comes in the color changes to red, this is great when the fish is at the same depth as the lure/jig-my graph does not distinguish between the two (black and white screen). The graph does show you "history", a fish came and left where as if you do not pay attention to the flasher you will miss things. A graph would be better on a boat because you can better see and define structure, not sure how you would do that with a flasher. I really like my Marcum flashers!

Good luck! Going fishing without a finder is like hunting without binoculars; they don't catch the fish but they sure increase your odds!
[signature]
Why do you like the Flasher better?

Sorry if I sound ignorant but I've never used any electronics.

Thank you all for your input and advice!
[signature]
I think a graph is easier to visualize what is going on and easier to learn. I honestly have problems interpreting a flasher, but I know guys that totally rock the fish with a flasher. I understand the principal of the flasher, but my brain doesn't translate it near as fast as it does the graph picture. Play with some demos at your favorite store and see which comes easier for you. Both will work. Good luck. J
[signature]
I love my showdown. Got it from scheels for $200. As well if you get it make sure you buy the performance pack $50 on scheels website, amazon, or ebay and a 12 v battery are like $19.99.

For sure my ice fishing season experience have been improving compairing too last year but trying too guess where they are at. Really nice too see where the fish are and your lure plus watching a fish go after your jig or lure. It's tons of fun watching it then prediction when you will get a bite [angelic].
[signature]
The reasons I prefer the flasher are 1) It is in real time, there is not a slight delay. 2) I like the color differences that let me know when a fish is near (or at least at the same depth) my jig. With my graph, it only showed a black line, this could be a fish or it could be my jig. The screen would look like a heart beat monitor that was "flat lined" unless I jigged my pole. I had to look only at there the graph started, not at the center, that was how history. If a fish came up from the bottom/or down from the top, you would see a diagonal line (history), when it got to the same level as the jig/came in at the same level, there was no change in size, color or anything to let me know that the fish had come to pay a visit. I would just watch the tip of my rod then and wait for a bite. Once I learned how to read the graph, I caught more fish.

When I bought my first Marcum flasher I was quite Confused, frustrated, and felt that I had wasted my money. I had no clue what was fish, the bottom, artifact/noise, my jig, etc. I finally met a guy who had a vexilar, he gave me a few pointers. It took a bit of learning to read a circular dial and understand what I was reading, then things got better! Now I adjust the sensitivity/gain so that my jig shows up as a yellow line. If a fish comes in the periphery or is small, it also is yellow. As it nears, or is medium sized it turns orange/green (depending on the flasher), when it is close or large, it sends a bigger signal that is red. When a fish is at the same depth and presumably right next to my jig, the color combo is yellow-red-yellow. I watch the end of my rod and anticipate a bite! If the fish shows up above my jig, I reel up to it and bam! If a fish is below my jig, I lower and bam! If I am looking for bottom hugging fish, I zoom in on the bottom (2.5" separation) and and focus on the bottom 5'-10' yet still have some visualization of the rest of the column (though not that great).

As I mentioned earlier, with a flasher it is instantaneous, if you look away and a fish flashes in and out, you'll not see it where a graph will still show a blip on the screen. New graphs have color, I have not used one of them. In the extreem cold (30 below), my graph would not work, the flasher does.

Hope this helps. I'd recommend hooking up with some one who uses the different types, watching them use it and learn about them, then make your decision. I know I hate going out without one now (that's why I have several for my sons or whom ever I take out, I don't have to give mine up to be nice!).
[signature]
Thank you icerman and all others for your tips. It's all a lot to think about. Sounds like lots of pros and cons to both as with most things.

If I go with a flasher does it pay to go with a more expensive one or do they all have basically the same functionality?
[signature]
I completely agree with icerman. His overview is very thorough. I would buy the best you can afford. I currently have the Marcum LX3tc and I'll e buying the LX7 soon.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!