Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cascade help
Some friends and I are thinking of making the looong trek to Cascade for some perch... looking at going the weekend after the derby.
I'm a taxidermist and have mounted several beauties from Cascade, and hope to bring a few home to eat as well.
Looking to spend a couple days, and target mostly perch. Not trying to hotspot, or ask for the locations of anyones honeyhole, just some water depths that are best, types of bottom structure, and size of baits.
Any type of help will be greatly appreciated. I've been by the lake, but never been on... thanks, Dan
[signature]
I catch big ones as shallow as 5 feet and as deep as 25-30 feet or even more. The key is to keep moving until you find the active fish.
[signature]
Ditto what H-n-H said. Avery jigged this one up with a Swedish Pimple on Monday in about 20 FOW. I've fished 6 days since New Years and everyday has been different as to baits and depth. Drill drill drill
[signature]
Wow, way to go Avery...that's a monster.

I've fished Cascade over the years and from what I've seen, catching the jumbos is usually a crap shoot. Luck, patience, mobility and determination are key to making it happen. Try to get the most recent intell you can but ultimately what it's going to take is time on the water/ice and stay highly mobile in an effort to find actively feeding fish. Odds are you'll find many more juveniles than you will the jumbos. Whether you're going to find jumbos mixed in with the juveniles is anybody's guess but again, what is key is mobility and use of varied terminal gear to find some cooperative trophy sized perch.

Good luck.
[signature]
HOLY COOOOOW!!!!!!

How big was that TOAD? Nice job Avery.
[signature]
Thanks for all the info, GREAT FISH Avery!!

Looking at a topo map, is there any end, or spot to start on? That res. is HUGE....

Heard lots of stories about the island area? but seems the pics show otherwise?

Coming up for 2-3 days and would not want to spend it in vain. Are there any weed beds in the res., or sticks or wood?

1 last question for now... How the [url "mailto:h@$%"]h@$%[/url] do you handle 5 rods fishing for perch?[cool]
Dan
[signature]
What is more embarrassing about the five rod comment is when you actually loose a rod down the hole while fishing for those hogs like Avery caught. Been there done that. Never thought I would loose a rod to perch!

OC
[signature]
The Cascade is big. Lots of smalls. Follow Avery's tracks.

He is the real deal!!!

Idaho
[signature]
I talked to a friend who called the tackle store in Cascade a couple of days ago. He said they told him people were doing well on perch and trout south of Sugar Loaf Island.

Third hand info, but maybe it will help.
[signature]
perchound wrote:[/quote]
HOLY COOOOOW!!!!!!

How big was that TOAD? Nice job Avery.[/quote]

That one went 15.5" and 2 lbs.. Had one couple weeks ago that went 2 lb 6 oz but was only a tad over 15". It was a football. It would not surprise me if a new record fish gets caught this year.

Rod

PS Dean summed it up in his post. Heavy on determination.
looks like you have it pegged
[signature]
No I'm a long way off from having it pegged. Just determined and with enough worms in the water we get lucky once in awhile. The guys like Untangler, hooknhunter and Duck-Slayer are the ones that have it pegged.
[signature]
Every time I see your boy holding up a fish with a big ol' grin it makes my day. Awesome!
[signature]
A buddy and I took our 4 boys out last Monday. Beautiful day and we fished a lot of depths. Got a new gas auger for Christmas so we had lots of fun drilling holes and trying different areas. We fished off the Sugarloaf camp area and started in about 10 feet of water, found some smaller perch so we decided to head deeper. We drilled about 10 holes each time and went as deep as 20 feet. All of the areas were about the same, smaller perch, no jumbos. Finally we decided to try much closer to shore and fished in about 6 feet of water and reeled in 5 jumbos in the first 3 minutes. Then it was like the other areas. One thing we did notice was some left over weed growth seemed to help. I've got an underwater camera so the kids had a blast looking around under the ice all day.
[signature]
Interesting, it just goes to show you that they can be anywhere, everywhere or nowhere. Thanks for the report and its good to hear the boys had a blast.
[signature]
[quote walleye_whisper]

1 last question for now... How the [url "mailto:h@$%"]h@$%[/url] do you handle 5 rods fishing for perch?[cool]
Dan[/quote]

On the best perch days I've had, I don't use 5 rods. I use 1, maybe 2. When I hit a good spot, 1 rod is all I can handle until I catch all the active ones, then it's time to move on.
[quote AverysAdventure]Had one couple weeks ago that went 2 lb 6 oz but was only a tad over 15". It was a football. It would not surprise me if a new record fish gets caught this year.

Rod

PS Dean summed it up in his post. Heavy on determination.[/quote]

that ties a state record doesn't it?

and yes determination is the key along with mobility... like HnH said, anywhere from 5 feet too 35 feet....
Matt
[signature]
Tell Avery congrats for me that's a fantastic fish Smile
[signature]
No it would take a fish a 1/4 pound heavier to challenge the state record. All time record is over 4 pounds - I can't even fathom a perch that big.
And one thing I'd like to emphasize to people with questions is the luck factor like you mentioned in another post Matt. A person can do everything right but without the luck factor going your way it might be a long day on the ice. There are things we can do to improve our luck but ultimately it is up the the fish gods.
[signature]
Oh, how I agree. Matt and I agree in almost every way how to fish for these bad boys, but Sadly, on my last 3 attempts, I have yet to get one of those beasts. Shall we say I'm having a run of BAD luck?