Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview??
Ok, so it looks like it is Pineview for the scout group. Any ideas or suggestions on where to go on the lake and what to use? While I would love to land something else, I would be happy if we could at least get a mess of perch. There will probably be a total of 6-7 people. I haven't ice fished for perch in probably 10 years.

I don't have snowmobiles or anything to get on the ice. How are the ice conditions there? Any slush?

Any other hints or tips are appreciated. We are planning on leaving the Tooele area around 6:30am.

Thanks.
[signature]
We are going off of cemetery point I also have the fish and game coming to give the kids a brief at 1000. If you are all there around that time he could brief everyone and that fits rt into the lesson plan for the belt loop. Don't know if that's what you are after but available. Ice was still good last time i was up there. Hit the 20-22 foot mark and inch off bottom. Hope this helps.

Chad
[signature]
Buy some cast master as a sinker/ flash attraction then about a 1-2 ft below it a small ice fly or jig. As well Walmart got some small perch swim bait jigs that I love too use for perch they come in a pack of 3 and cost about $1.70. For sure make a trip too TD for some great jigs. Tip with meal, waxies or even nightcrawler. I've caught dinky perch on a cast master tip with a whole worm and surprisingly they do slurp it in good.
[signature]
I have been hammering the perch of the north side of cemetery, i have found 28-32 fow to be the best depths. Marmooshka and a chunk of perch or a perch eye has been the ticket for me...
[signature]
Thanks for the pointers. We'll be heading out in the morning. It's been WAY too long since I've been out. I got new batteries to run my fishfinder (Eagle Ultra Classic) only to find it won't power up. I checked the fuse and it's good, battery is good. I haven't used it in probably 8 years. Arrgh. I guess we'll be guessing. I fired up the auger and it really needs the carb cleaned. It idles good but I really have to feather it to get it up to speed without bogging down. I'll take an old hand auger just in case.
To top it all off, walmart didn't have any baits. No worms, no wax worms, no meal worms, etc. Here's hoping some convenience store somewhere up there might have something.......

I really hope this trip isn't doomed. I have the one scout that said he really hates fishing because he never catches anything, but we convinced him to give it one more try. This is the main reason we switched from strawberry to pineview.

Hmmmm........
[signature]
So how was the fishing.? Anyone else fish the view?
[signature]
Weather was great, ice conditions were great, fishing was about the worst I've seen when targeting perch. We only ended up with 4 of us out there in my group. We ended up with 1 perch the entire day, and maybe about 3 more bites. We threw everything we could at them for baits and jigs. We fished several different depths. Unfortunately I can't tell if that would make a difference as my fish finder has died.

I don't think it was just us. I talked to several other people throughout the day, and watched everyone around us. I only saw one other fish caught out there and, from the people I talked to, the most I heard anyone coming away with was 4 perch.

It was still a fun day and great weather, but quite disappointing on the fishing side. I've never seen perch fishing so slow.

To rub it in a bit, I saw a picture from one of our neighbors that hit Yuba and came away with 5 really nice Pike.

Next time it's Strawberry. At least there, if I only catch one, I will know it will be something bigger than 6".
[signature]
went out there Saturday to.. the key is early!! we were out there from 4-11 caught a bunch of crappie and perch but out of the 50 fish we caught for the day 43 of um were before 7 am. after that way slow
[signature]
Got there before daylight. North side of Cemetery. Crappie were thick for just a few minutes, but then, all but disappeared. We only caught 6. Perch were just plain mad at us. I felt like I was getting old and my reflexes were bad. Actually, maybe that was at least some of the problem. Bite was very slow, almost like they were just swimming into the line or something. I could not hook up! Tried various types and sizes of jigs. Used last week's perch meat leftovers I had frozen just for that. Also used mealies. Just for the heck of it, I wanted to see if crappie had a sweet tooth, and put on a small piece of marshmellow. They apparently do, because they kept working it. As was stated.. beautiful day, no wind, blue sky. A lot of people, and very little catching. Many just gave up and started leaving around 11am. Many more between noon and 1. I was one of them.
[signature]
Sounds like catching was slow for most folks, how did your group do Chad?
[signature]
Slappinthebass's knows his shiiiiitttttt!!!!! Wow what a great ANGLER it cause of people like this guy why people like me a ROOKIE go out and give it a try [fishon]
[signature]
I was up there Saturday 1/25 and upon arrival at swim beach at 9:30am (had my kids with me, everything is later with kids) the air temp was -1 degree in the parking lot, fished in 18 FOW just off swim beach, only caught 8 and left lake by 2:00pm. Heavy fog on the lake upon arrival, it moved off shortly after, so cold only drilled one set of holes and stayed put, would have moved more if kids weren't with me, fish come in schools, we would see them on the fish finder then all 5 poles would start getting bites. We caught all but one on Gizzy bug white and Gizzy bug pink with wax worm and perch eye.

when we left at 2 temp was 26 degrees. Ice was 20-24 inches thick with about 4-5 inches of snow on top. Slush monster was not anywhere to be found.

All in All a great day everyone caught a fish which is all I was hoping for.
[signature]
Kids had a blast and weather was great. They loved the power auger. Fishing was the worst I have ever seen up there. I only got to fish for 10 min or so. Only iced four perch and same guy caught them all. All the boys got their belt loops for fishing and no one got hurt sledding. Oh did have two kids go to their hips stepping in the holes.
[signature]
At least one of the kids caught some perch but isn't that always the way it is, catching is always good until you bring a bunch of kids up, then it slows way down. Those 10" ice holes can be a killer for small kids and my last trip up there they were cover by snow, I fell a few times just walking around, I can see how a kid could be in big trouble if they happened to stand on a hole like that.
[signature]